Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Milwaukee Daytrip

Eating like a local:
Regional food specialties

- Checking out MKE's up and coming Food/Drink Scene

Summerfest might be over but summer is not. I've long preached that one of the best daytrips from Chicago is Milwaukee and it only gets better with each visit I make. I cant say enough good things about the city. I love how I always find something new and intriguing on each visit. I love the architecture, much of the city was built by Germans who did great bricklaying. And of course, I love the food and drink. Both of those scenes continue to grow in Milwaukee thus it's only getting better. I stopped into three trendier spots on a recent trip up there.

Back to Milwaukee
_________________________________________

Blue Jacket

I'd read great things about this semi-new cocktail bar not far from the lake. As the name suggests they have a Great Lakes sailor theme going on so many of the drinks are gin based. The selection of them is impressive and so were the cocktails they made them with. Also worth mentioning is their food. We had just ate so we weren't starving but found a plate of the fried Brussels sprouts looking to good to pass up. Best vegetable dish I've ate this summer. Perfectly made. Overall this might of been my favorite cocktail bar I've been in since the craze began. I loved the design inside and along with it the large open window in front. I like the light.

Fantastic Eats and Drink
_________________________________________

Cempazuchi Comida Brava

If it seems like every city in this country now has a modernized taqueria that's because they do. I've been visiting many of them on my travels and decided it was time to try this East Brady street favorite. Like most of these places the inside is really pleasant on the eyes. We plopped down at the bar and enjoyed their house margarita and and order of the acos de Tio Isreael is a plate of three tacos made with fried lake perch rolled in blue corn meal served with a chipotle mayo and lime cabbage slaw with a side of beans and rice. Read all about them over at the Taco Tour headquarters.


Lake Perch Tacos
_________________________________________

Odd Duck

Small Plates and Cocktails inspired by local ingredients in Bayview

Our final stop of this quick daytrip would be for dinner at Odd Duck. This is a popular farm to table type place that has a menu that's meant to be shared. Said menu looked pretty good so we took a table out back in the spacious patio area. I thought it was a really chill spot with some tasty plates of food to go with the vibe. None of the plates were more than $10 and I left very happy with my meal. Surprisingly the best bite might of been the plate we ordered off the non-meat part of the menu. The eggplant fries were a real winner but the housemade bratwurst dish was no slouch either. They need to keep it on the menu thru Fall as it would be great paired with an Oktoberfest on a crisp cool evening. I'll be back.

Hawaiian Spearfish Sashimi, Watermelon Relish, Fingerling Potato, Sesame Soy Vinaigrette, Radish Sprouts 

Honey Drizzled Eggplant Fries, Turmeric, Sesame Seeds, Fresh Mint

Grilled House Bratwurst, Butter Poached Red Potatoes, Red Cabbage, Dill, Mustard Emulsion 
_________________________________________

Blue Jacket
135 E National Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53204
(414) 312-7098

Cempazuchi Comida Brava
1205 E Brady St
Milwaukee, WI 53202
(414) 291-5233

Odd Duck Restaurant
2352 S Kinnickinnic Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53207
(414) 763-5881

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails