Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sandwich City, USA

Eating like a local:
Regional food specialties

-The World Class Sandwiches of Philadelphia

Hey folks, sorry about the delay between posts but it was a busy October. I got to make my inaugural visit to Philly and came away loving it. I spent 2.5 days with three different friends of mine who live there and showed me well. The only jag bag the whole trip was the first guy I saw on the train collecting ticket money. "Great folks all around from all sorts of backgrounds" is the description I would give the locals I got to interact with on my trip.


Center City Philadelphia

Philly is the "Don of all Dons" when it comes to good sammys. The Iggles most certainly looked better against the 'boys and now have a pivotal in-conference game vs. Da Bears, however they aint no "Dream team" but the sandwich shops in Philly are indeed the real deal. Sick as I am, I planned my whole trip around sandwich stops. So I never made it to the Liberty Bell, other historical notes of interest or any of the museums, no running the stairs with Rocky just lots of food and beverage stops and nonetheless I now think Philly is one of the more underrated cities in America. I cant wait to get back.


The only statues I saw were those I happened to walk by

Day One I got in early and before leaving had plugged some address' into google maps to see which spots were near and others that were close to each other. None of my friends were off until the early eve so I planned a taste tour of my own. First stop was John's Roast Pork. About 3 miles from the Historic District where I was staying so it was a easy bus ride getting there.


A Must Stop Philly Sandwich Shop

John's has been discussed as one of the must do's while in Philly. All of the talk I've ever heard about the place is praise. Well let me further glorify the sandwiches sold here. Located in what looks like it could be most suburbs in America it's tucked away between a bunch of newly developed strip malls holding the usual suspects. Nonetheless it's a James Beard award winner and the famous sandwiches are why.


The sliced pork and beef


Sandwich being made

The roast pork is Philly's lesser known signature sandwich but also it's more valuable. The weather was perfect on my visit which was right around Noon so there was a line out the door to eat. No tables inside but they got a few benches out back otherwise its the hood of your car or the sidewalk. Lets take a look.


John's Roast Pork Sandwich

The Philly pork sandwich is thinly sliced roasted pork which is stuffed into an amazing seeded roll. Topping options include sharp provolone and sauteed spinach as well as assorted peppers. I wanted to taste the pork so I opted for no greens but did get cheese at John's. Unlike most other Philly sandwich shops you do have the option for a smaller sized portion here but you don't want to do that as they are served on round buns and not the signature seeded loafs.


Centerfold Material

Excellent sandwich, one of the best ever as has been said by so many others. John's is also supposed to have one of the cities better cheesesteaks but no way I could do both in one visit with what I still had coming. On top of that their roast beef sandwich is also supposed to be fantastic. Philly was alot of fun so I know for sure there will be a next time. If you can in addition to a roast pork, try a Steak Milano (w/Grilled Tomato & Provolone) or roast beef sandwich too.


A Popular South Philly Sandwich Shop

After about a mile or so walk into South Philly I arrived at Chickie's. This was on my list but not for their famous veggie hoagie but another one of their must try subs. It seems like theres 100's of these corner store/deli's around Philadelphia. It's a small space inside but people were still shuffling in and out for sandwiches, drinks, snacks and such.


Fried Tomato Hoagie

I was here for the Fried tomato hoagie. Basically a BLT on HGH, it's fried tomatoes with lettuce, lots of bacon, roasted red peppers and the option of turkey too. Just like every sandwich I ate in the city this was huge. It was a beautiful day out so I was able to sit at one of the tables outside along the shop. I threw down half and saved the other for my buddy who I was meeting up with too watch the Phillie's game later. Exceptional start to my Philly Sandwich Tour.


The insides

Then there's the Philly cheesesteaks, the most well known food item the city is famous for. Most people not from Philly I've talked too seem down on it as a super sandwich. It seems to me that most of those who didn't like their cheesesteak experiences had them at Pat's and or Geno's. Neither nor of them for me on this trip. But even still during the times I was in the area of them I had other tourists asking me where they were...

Image Image
The Tourists spots

I did stop in at the South Philly Sports Bar (across the street from both) for a few mid afternoon brews but I had two other spots both within a mile range of Pat's and Geno's for my steaks on day one. In South Philly they're offered everywhere, its the center for them. But just walking around Center City and most every other neighborhood I was in you'll get whiffs of cheesesteak from every crevice and corner.


Walkin' South Philly

I don't see how those that live and work in the area cant and wouldn't get a craving for one now and then. The whole city smells like Union ave in Chicago where the dueling Maxwell Polish Sausage stands reside. On my first day in town I walked over to Cosmi's Deli after some Yuengling's at the South Philly Sports Bar. This would be my first cheeseteak experience ever in Philadelphia. So how did that go?


South Philly locals favorite

Cosmi's came rec'd from a trustful source who knows his Philly sandwich shops. I was all over it, ready to try them when I was also told its the cities best example of a cheesesteak hoagie. The difference being as a hoagie it comes topped with lettuce, tomatoes, both raw and fried onions, mayo and oil. Actually my preferred way to eat a cheesesteak, at least from Ken & Betty's in WI (report coming) and the now gone Hoagie Hut from Highland Park and Lincoln Park.


Philly Soft Pretzels at the Register

I was offered a regular roll or seeded and chose the seeded one and it made the sandwich taking it to elite status. Along with the finely chopped steak that was loaded into the middle and packed some real meat taste up in it. I would eat this sandwich again and again. So far so very good.


Cheesesteak Hoagie from Cosmi's Deli

After those first three sammy's I was a lil woozy and headed back to my spot to freshen up before heading out for the evening. We watched the Phil's blow game 4 to the Cards at Cavanaugh's Sports Bar right on the Rittenhouse Square. Philly sports fans much like Chicago are very passionate so it was fun watching a big game with them, even if we were in the trendy part of town. One of the few non sandwich items I ate were the house blended wings which were excellent. No idea what their special sauce used is but these were great. Sweet and spicy the perfect balance of each.


So no win for the Phil's meant a little less happiness in the air but we still went off to Philip's for another cheesesteak. I did a little websearch on locally loved cheesesteak spots and a few factors put Philip's on my list. I was with two buddies from Philly who had just met thru me, one of them never heard of Philip's, the other was shocked that I knew about it and insisted we go as it was his late nite steak stop.


Phililp's Steaks on West Passyunk in South Philly

Not far from Pat's and Geno's they also got a walk up ordering system, you either eat outside or take them to go but no attitude given, they were nice and knew I was a tourist after my friends told them so. The onions flood the streets and there were a few people pulling up for their steak fix every few minutes. No whiz for me, my regular steak order is American cheese with (onions). Although this was my 2nd steak in Philly it was my first late nite after hours one and maybe that played a part in why I inhaled the whole thing in less than four minutes. But I wasn't Mike Ditka at the White House, I was actually tired.


Cheesesteak from Philip's

What made it so good was what got me in when I read a rec. Philip's uses ribeye and slices it there in house (I saw the batch, it was beautiful bright red) and does so a little thicker than most places do. Cheeseteaks biggest difference from one another is the steak itself and what cut of beef is used, how it's cut, cooked etc and the ribeye sliced a little thicker made this taste like, well a ribeye steak sandwich. The onions as always are great and the bread was fresh too. If you do find yourself inebriated at Philip's one late Philly nite, don't run your mouth off to anyone. It's mobbed up. But that doesn't keep the cops from stopping by for one 8).


A cheesesteak that might make you switch your mind about them

It was time to call it a night Wednesday. As one of my friends walked home from Philip's the other gave me a ride back to the Historic District but was still hungry and wanted to get another. I was stuffed but couldn't pass it up as I wanted to try as many as I could. So we stopped in at Jim's Steaks on South Street after he determined Steve's Prince of Steaks was too far North.


The famous Jim's Steak's on South Street

Jim's however was also on my list. It's one of the popular spots and has a few locations. Not the original but the most frequented is this location on South Street which is basically Philly's version of Belmont and Lincoln ave (Chicago) smushed into one. A lively street and neighborhood especially when the sun goes down and the freaks and college kids come out. This was my only visit to South Street but I had hoped to get back. Jim's usually has lines out the door up until bars close but with the Phillie's loss it was kind of dead around 1a.


Waiting in line at Jim's

Jim's has been around for almost 70 years. One of the more appealing cheeseteak shops to your eyes it's got a beautiful art deco design to it and a fun experience as well. As you enter you go into the line which takes you past the grill as the steaks are made so you get to see and smell them. It was the usual order for me, American cheese wit (onions). No more secret menu at Jim's so I didn't get the chance to stock up on any Lady Gaga, Ecstasy, Greenery or any of Rush's favorite Prescription Pills, as the bust took place before my arrival :D. They do still serve beer and have seating upstairs and down. We ate at the counter inside downstairs.


Half of a Cheesesteak from Jim's

Jim's is another one of the places that chooses to chop the steak finely as seen in the pic. Another good sandwich but not my favorite. It tasted more like a roast beef sandwich, which might of been due to the cut they use, not that that's a bad thing I just preferred the first two to Jim's. What a great first day in Philly I thought to myself as I then proceeded to pass out within a minute of hitting the bed.


Sunrise on the Delaware River

Day Two my buddies both had work again so I had a eating/seeing itinerary all planned out. I walked from the hotel over to Center City and stopped in at the Reading Terminal Market, one of the countries oldest and largest public markets. I really wasn't that hungry and that was a shame because this place is fantastic. I wish we had something like it in Chicago, they have everything to do with food in there. Books, ingredients, prepared meals, cooked to order lunch, they got it all.


A Philly Destination for everyone




























Views from inside the Market

Most discussions on where to stop and get Philly's best sandwiches will direct you too Dinic's. The famous sandwich shop that almost always has a line and everyone who's been and knows is happy to wait. Dinic's serves sandwiches, pork butt and brisket. With sharp provolone and or broccoli rabe as your topping options. I arrived right around 11a and just beat the line which was around the corner by the time I sat down. The hunks of pork and beef sit there as the sandwich makers roll thru them with breeze so the line does move fast which is good because your mouth will drool.


Located inside the Reading Terminal Market

If you go after 11a they also offer the Pulled Pork Italiano sandwich which is the same pork used for the sliced sandwiches except it's cooked until 11a and then shredded. The combination of all that goodness together easily makes it a favorite at the books in Vegas for "best regional sandwich in the states". Incredible, the only thing that could of been a little better was the bread but with Philly being one of the better bread producing places I've ever been too, even the alright stuff is superior to most other places.


Dinic's Pulled Pork Italiano

I already got the sense that Philly was thee spot for sandwiches on day one and then my first sandwich on day two made that even clearer. We also stopped at Dinic's and the Market before leaving for the airport on the way out of town and I tried half of a sliced roast pork which is equally good.


The Meat Slicing Station

If your with someone else get one of each. I know the brisket is supposed to be phenomenal as well so that's what I'll get next time. I just didn't have the room after trying some other treats from the many other merchants. All these sandwiches you see in this entire post are pretty much foot longs and none of them offer half options. No surprise the only place not packed at lunch time in the Market was the salad bar shop. There's not much of anything that's small in Philly :D.


Dinic's Sliced Pork Sandwich

Image Image
Frank's Famous Baked Wings



Image Image
Pastrami and Corned Beef Sandwich from Eastside Deli

After taking in the Market I headed out and walked over to 9th street and took that into the Italian Market. Again another spectacular place. The walk from Center City was beautiful passing thru the neighborhoods and then entering the blocks of butcher shops, produce vendors as well as seafood and most everything else you need. It's a fantastic stretch of many different cultures with Italian being the forefront but you can find everything you need no matter what type of cuisine your planning on cooking.


The Italian Market Neighborhood Story (Click Pics to enhance)

I came thru here both Thursday and again on Friday and loved my visits. There's a nice bar called the Wishing Well which I stopped in at and liked. Also a really cool seafood distributor/store/bar/restaurant called Anastasi's Seafood that has great oysters and a fun bar with fantastic food. Their fish sandwiches are supposed to be really good as are the Italian seafood pasta dishes. Let's take a little pic-trip thru the Italian Market.



Image Image
Image Image



Image Image



Image Image



Image Image


Philly's Italian Market neighborhood

Of course I also stopped for a sandwich while walking thru the magnificent mile of meats, cheese and other eats at the Market. George's Sandwich Shop has been heavily endorsed by regulars over on LTH as well as 'Holly Eats' both of whom I'd trust with my last meal on earth. Just like many of my previous stops George's delivered but with the rec's it got there was no reason to think it wouldn't.


Italian Market Sandwich Shop

George's was praised on LTH and Bizarre Foods recently for their tripe sandwich and I really wanted to try that and hoped to on the rebound but never got the chance. You can walk in and sit down at the counter or order from the walk up window. The menu has nothing that's not supposed to be anything short of fantastic. The tripe, veal and sausage looked great sitting in the window and the cheesesteak has won cities best a few times.


The view of the meats from the window

But I had heard that the meatball was the best in Philly and they take their balls of meat in bread serious there. I was tempted by the Charlie Sheen which was "a little bit of everything" but went with a meatball with sweet and hot peppers. I came to Philly expecting to have the best cheesesteak and roast pork sandwiches I ever had and that was accomplished but so was eating the best meatball and best Italian sub (read on) I've ever had too. It's no surprise though since this is Sandwich City, USA and they love the old Italian-American favorites.


George's Meatball Sandwich

The sandwich had perfect not too big sized meatballs. An old family recipe that's sits in their special gravy which is ladled on top. After a few beers and then the sandwich I was ready for a late afternoon nap before having to do it all over again. I walked from the Market back toward the river. Unfortunately Water Ice (think Italian ice) season was over with so I never got to try John's which is famous for it's six flavors. As I walked home along the river I passed by another stop on my list. Shank's Original has been a famous Philly sandwich shop since they first opened up in the Italian Market in 1962 and became the spot for locals of the area. They closed down there but weren't gone long as they opened up shop at Pier 40 along the river.


Shank's Original on Columbus ave along Delaware River

Now called Shank's Original its the same as it ever was just newer location. They have a few spots to stand inside as well as tables overlooking the water outside but most people take it to go. Again just like everywhere else they offer an array of sandwiches. Also, so it seems, like everyone else they won best of Philly Cheesesteak too. In fairness they've been doing the award since the early 80's. But they also won "best chicken cutlet in town" and that was another Philly signature sandwich I wanted to try. I went with the Cutlet Italiano which comes with sharp provolone and rabe.


Chicken Cut Italiano from Shank's original

The cutlet was big and juicy as was the sandwich as a whole and again the pairing of that sharp provolone and rabe is an instant winner. I was happy to have checked another one off my list but equally as happy to be getting a nap and not have to eat for a few hours or so. I was starting to feel the heat and could only finish half.


Looking across the river into Camden

A funny thing happened as I walked the Italian Market earlier in the day. I heard my name being called out and when I looked back it was my old friend who I had thought moved from Philly to San Fran since I last saw him this summer at our annual Sisters Lakes Michigan gathering. Small world he was working at his uncles shop so we made plans to stop in at an old favorite of his which we had chatted about over the summer. He used to work at Dalessandro's Steaks & Hoagies in his college days and had told me it was the best and thus I had it on my list. Unsure if I'd make it since it was a little bit away and I didn't have a car it all worked out as he borrowed one and we planned to meet around 8p to head over there. But not before I stopped in at Nick's Original in South Philly which was near his place while I waited for him to get ready.


a South Philly Locals Favorite

Nick's was the shit. One of the more authentic bars I've drank at, it was a great time inside. The Flyers were kicking off the NHL season and all the regulars were at the bar shooting the shit. Philly and South Philly in particular is very diverse and so was Nick's. They had the group of regular Italians sitting along the small bar inside, with a group of young black men sitting at a table dead focused on the hockey game. Asian and Mexican folks too both dining in the room in back and taking orders to go with their families. I visited twice, came back the next day before leaving for AC, and both times regulars walked in and announced their presence with a big HEY! and told the bartender what they wanted to drink and to "add a round on for everyone at the bar too".


The view inside

What a great place, people I didn't know buying me drinks on separate visits. Of course it wasn't long until they wanted to know who I was, where I was from, how I found Nick's etc They loved that I was from Chicago and there to try their famous roast beef sandwich. Nick's has been around since 1938 and they have a limited but plentiful menu. They do sandwiches and offer their namesake roast beef as well as a pork and turkey. Everything is roasted on site and sliced to order. The guys making the sandwiches are pros as they yell across the bar to the patrons about the Eagles woes and whether or not the Phillie's got a shot (I guess not).


The roasted meats bar

It wasn't until I returned to Chicago that I read the pork might be better than the roast beef at Nick's but I had to have a roast beef my first go. I love a real roast beef sandwich served hot with gravy on top. Plus on top of that I'm pretty sure it's all good-pork, beef and turkey at Nick's. I'll get thru all three, I would go on a Philly vaca just to hang out here.


Nick's Original roast beef sandwich

If that looks mighty good to you it sure was. Cooked to a perfect consistency as to where they slice it off but it doesn't crumble apart like a real roast beef sandwich should. The gravy is made from the juices of each roast and the bun is great. Get it with sharp provo for that extra kick. The only other menu option at is fries which can come with or without gravy. I had to stop in on Friday to try these and was loving it when I did. Just some average fries are taken to another level when they add gravy with all the fallen pieces from the roast mixed in. Perfect bar food.


Gravy Fries from Nick's

My buddy scooped me up from Nick's and we headed North to Dalessandro's. This was fun as I got to see an entire different part of Philly and it was really nice. Some sweet homes in this 'hood where the famous steak shop has been located since 1960.


Another winner in the Best of Philly cheesesteak category

It was a Thursday night and as mentioned the Flyers were playing so people were out and Dal's was packed. We waited a few minutes for some seats and eventually got them. They serve beer and have a nice bottled pop selection as well and you can eat there and watch whatever is showing on the TV.


The view inside

My buddy who was a former employee told me the story of how it was sold out of the family a while back and everything changed for the worse but since then it was bought by another family, friends with the original owners and from the neighborhood and everything is back to normal which is great. The cheesesteaks are sliced ribeye and chopped here so you can hear the steakmasters chopping away as you sit and eat yours.


Dal's cheesesteak with onions and green peppers

My overall winner of cheesesteaks on this trip I loved this sandwich. Similar to Al's Italian Beef in not just that the meat was shredded but the seasoning was unique too. My buddy told me to get it with their peppers which they cook in beef juice all day and those were full of flavor too. I think green peppers on top of onions and no whiz (American) are the best ways for a cheesesteak. Located opposite corner to Dal's is Chubby's. My buddie wanted to do a taste off so we split one from there but it was no contest finishing in dead last in the October 2011 cheesesteak race. Only a little bit better than Philly's Best in Chicago so no need to ever try that.

Image Image
Chubby's Cheesesteak

After that we rode over to the Manayunk neighborhood (nice vibes) and bar hopped around to a few spots before heading back to South Philly to do the same as we watched the Yankees get knocked out of the playoffs. After that it was back to bed. The next morning I had that and the early afternoon to stroll around and knock down whatever other places I wanted to before leaving for my buddy's wedding in Atlantic City. I took an early morning walk along the river, past the casino over to Johnny's Hot's for a breakfast sandwich.


Old Philly Favorite

Now in a new location near the casino they originally got started in 1950 near an old Philly scrapyard. Just walk up windows no inside dining, its still in an industrial undeveloped part of town so its got the old school charm despite the new location. Also famous for their hot dogs and cheesesteaks (YES! they too won best of Philly one year) I had to have the namesake hot sausage which comes on a great bun with their signature pepper hash. If its before 10a you can add an egg and I did do that.


Johnny's Hot Sausage with a fried egg and pepper hash

The split sausage was really full of spice and the pepper hash cooled that down, great combo with the two of them eaten together. Nice way to start the beautiful day as I then made my way back to South Philly thru Center City to check out a few more spots.


a Popular South Philly Hot Dog Shop

I'm a sucker for the locally loved Coney shops around America. Although not called Coney's in these parts where they call them Texas Weiners (how they spell it) but they're still hot dogs with chili sauce. They did have the weiners in the window except they split them here just like they do the sausage at Johnny's and then put them into what could best be described as the offspring of a hamburger and hot dog bun.


a Texas Weiner found in South Philadelphia

I was rounding down completing the list of Philly style sandwiches when I saw a Philly combo on the menu at Texas Weiners. Whats that you ask? It's a split hot dog with a fish cake on top. I wanted to try one at Johnny's but passed but couldn't do so here. It sounds weird but tasted better than I was expecting. The fish cake was crispy outside and mushy inside but it worked well with the hot dog which had some snap to it.


a Philly Combo

As I was rounding out my day I took a stroll around another part of South Philly and passed by what I believe to be the original Dinic's Tavern. I hear the sandwiches here are even better than the one at Reading Terminal and cheaper too. The truth is there weren't many places I didn't want to stop in at. South Philly is like one big ass Taylor Street without any redeveloped lofts or Starbucks and Potbelly's. Every corner had a store or bar that looked like they'd been there forever. Gotta love Philly.


On Snyder ave in South Philly

I wish I had the time to stop in here and drink or knew about it before the last couple hours I had but I keep mentioning it on here, I'll be back. I was en route to a hoagie shop, the other Philly style sandwich I hadn't had yet. P&S Ravioli Co. has a few locations throughout the city but only a couple of them have delis too.


On West Oregon in South Philly

I was told about P&S thru Hawk Krall a Serious Eats contributor in Philly and hot dog aficionado. Hawk told me his favorite hoagie shop was here so that's where I went. I ordered an Italian with hot peppers which are banana rings there. Made to order it was ready after about 10 minutes and I took it to go. If you've seen Hawks work both at Serious Eats and art you know he knows whats up. Another classic indeed.


The view from inside

I sat, unwrapped it and ate it at a cemetery in the middle of the neighborhood. Nothing spooky here, this was heavenly. A hoagie if you were wondering, now you can see is just what people in Philadelphia call a sub. A grinder is when its baked. Well I mentioned it upthread this was the best sub sandwich I ever had from anywhere. Simplicity at its finest with it being just a regular Italian sub taken to new levels by the bomb ass bread and high quality meats and the overpowering addictive oil they soak them with.


P&S Italian Hoagie

Amazing sandwich you cant ask for any better. I had to shower later that evening in AC just to get the oil smell off of me. Nonetheless it was well worth it. I'll be back to P&S and that's saying something because there were tons of spots on my list that I missed including Philly's beloved Tony Luke's. On top of that I missed Paesano's, Sarcone's, El Cafeito, Chinks Steaks, Steve's Prince of Steaks, Greenman's Deli, McNallys Tavern, Carlino Specialty Foods, Pastificio Deli, J&G Lunchmeat Villa, Koch's Deli and a few others I'm forgetting and then theres the ones I don't even know about. I'll for sure be back, Philly knows Italian style sandwiches like none other.


America the Tasty
________________________________________

The art of expertly prepared sandwiches spreads out around Philly too. I hear Delaware has some great spots and there's also a famous one in Atlantic City which is just a hour and half train ride from Philadelphia. I met my buddy at 30th street station (their Union station) and we caught a train to AC Friday early evening. Easy trip and even better we stayed at the Sheraton which was nicer than most places in AC (no casino though) and just steps away from the train station there. Friday was a blur and Saturday we had the wedding and needed to get alot of food in us for what was coming. The Famous White House Sub Shop did the trick.


An old AC favorite

White House has been around since the 40's and they've served everyone and everybody who was ever anything that came thru Atlantic City. Famous for their subs which are bigger than any jackpot your likely to hit playing the slots.


The view as you enter


A peak at the walls which are covered in photos

The large sandwiches are two feet long, basically a whole loafs worth. Half of a large is what a large is at most other places, Philly included. These gotta be some of the biggest sandwiches anywhere. But are they any good? Yes and No. The Italian was really satisfying. We ordered it with everything including the pepper relish and along with the raw onions, fried ones as well.


Half of half of an Italian Sub from White House

We also got a half of a cheesesteak hoagie and that wasn't all that. I still ate the whole thing but had much better cheesesteaks in Philly. Still White House is worth a visit for lunch especially considering the other options around like McDonald's and Chili's.


Lunch at the White House

Overall I thought AC was much nicer than I was expecting. A few of the casinos were old and nothing special but they have a huge outlet mall with every last store you can think of right in the middle of it. So shopping is a very popular activity there since they also got high end shops at the Borgata and Ceasers too. The boardwalk was nice during the day as the weather that weekend was perfect, I didn't get to do much else since we only had Friday evening and a wedding most of Saturday but I'd like to get back to Philly in the summer and take a trip to AC while out there. Only other place aside from the wedding dinner I ate at were Johnny Rocket's (late Fri only spot open) and Harry's Oyster bar inside Bally's which was serving oysters after midnight that Saturday as they hosted the after wedding party-party.

Image Image
Harry's Oyster Bar inside Bally's

The beaches were nice and if you go right before the high season the gelled up, 'roided out, fist hump each others are all gone. My buddies wife whom he met at Boston College is from a community a few beaches down from AC and the drive there on the wedding bus was gorgeous. There's some really pretty houses and country club resorts to let the day fade away. I could happily spend summers out there like many from that region do.


Boardwalk Empire

John's Roast Pork
14 Snyder Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19148
(215) 463-1951

Chickie's Italian Deli
1014 Federal Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147-5041
(215) 462-8040

Cosmi's Deli
1501 S 8th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147
(215) 468-6093

Philips Steaks
2234 West Passyunk Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19145
(215) 755-4820

Jim's Steaks
400 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 928-1911

Dinic's at Reading Terminal
51 North 12th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 922-2317

George's Sandwich Shop
900 South 9th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
(215) 592-8363

Shanks Original
901 South Christopher Columbus Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19147
(215) 218-4000

Old Original Nicks Roast Beef
2149 South 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19145
(215) 463-4114

Dalessandro's
600 Wendover Street
Philadelphia, PA 19128
(215) 482-5407

Johnny's Hots
1234 North Delaware Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19125
(215) 423-2280

Texas Weiners
1426 Snyder Avenue
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 465-8635

P&S Hoagies
1722 West Oregon Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19145
(215) 339-9929

White House Sub Shop
2301 Arctic Avenue
Atlantic City, NJ 08401
(609) 345-1564

7 comments:

Jim said...

Brilliant post and tour of Philly T.

MaltyDog said...

dang you just made me love my own dang city all over again. Uhhh greenman's. my love.

Anonymous said...

I love the Hoagies from Philly, and have ordered them shipped overnight to Chicago.

Ben said...

Epic post, one of your best yet. Never been to Philly, this post has me itching to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Looking fit and brilliant is vital, the thin body needs legitimate consideration and a nutritious eating routine. The guide is provided to improve living style. The dissertation formatting service standard exercise and the preparation is compelling approach to lose the unreasonable weight. Nowadays the girls and even boys especially concentrate on slim bodies.

Anonymous said...

check out https://www.spanishlanguage4business.com/post/spanish-lessons-in-jacksonville-fl for good Spanish course

Anonymous said...

I recently dined at Chicago Chow King and was blown away by the delectable flavors and impeccable service. The restaurant's attention to detail and commitment to authenticity truly transported me to the vibrant streets of Chicago. For more magical experiences, check out https://magicalkatrina.com/magiciansblog/zoom-into-the-world-of-magic-shows. From their mouthwatering dishes to the warm and welcoming atmosphere, every aspect of my experience was exceptional. I highly recommend visiting Chicago Chow King to indulge in a culinary adventure like no other.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails