We start off 2017 with one of my favorites from 2016. Torta Haus sits about a half block East of the Brown line stop on Diversey. It's housed in a restaurant that used to be an Argentinian pizza place. The family behind Torta Haus decided to make use of the old pizza oven and bakes bread daily.
New favorite in Lakeview
I keep forgetting to ask but I feel like the family behind Torta Haus might've come to Chicago from the San Diego area. Either that or their recipes are very similar to families in Southern Cali. Starting with the Baja Fish Taco. This is one of the better fish tacos in the city. It's perfectly fried and topped with just the right amount of crunchy cabbage as well as a sauce defined as "Baja style."
Baja Fish Taco
The main attraction of the menu for me is the steak. Torta Haus uses the more tender cut of skirt steak which also costs more. Thus while the steak tacos are a tad pricey at $3.75 a piece they use better quality meat and grill to order and you can notice the difference. No pic but the Carne Asada fries are another item that leads me to believe they have some sort of connection to SD. The same steak is tossed over fresh cut fries, homemade queso with pico. Southern Cali Mexican in Chicago? Nice.
Carne Asada Taco
Because I'm such a big fan of their steak I've pretty much stuck with that on my visits. The tortas have some intriguing options like a German offering with schnitzel and bratwurst amongst other meats. There's also a traditional Mexican style Cubano torta. Still I've stuck with the carne asada.
Carne Asada Torta
This was one of my favorites sandwiches this past summer. I stopped in for it a few times despite the fact I'm not a huge torta eater. As you probably know I prefer tacos. But this is a sandwich that's put together very well. The exciting part about it is the aforementioned steak. The house baked bollio bread is spread with your choice of refried beans (black/pinto), and shredded lettuce, tomato, onions, avocado, Munster cheese, and sour cream. The steak and cheese portion of sandwich spends time in the oven allowing the cheese to melt and the corners of the bread to crisp. Makes for a tasty lunch.
The Insides
Torta Haus
926 W Diversey Pkwy
Chicago, IL 60614
Website
1 comment:
I’m from West Texas, and I was among a few others victim who lost hard earned money to a Forex Scam, I had invested in a broker firm to the extent that I could not afford it because this broker firm kept demanding more money whenever it is time to withdraw profits. I was lucky to have detected the foul play on time, unfortunately I had already lost $931,795 worth of Bitcoin, Ethereum to this broker firm.
After going to the authorities with no progress whatsoever, my lawyer directed me to a recovery agent who took over my case discreetly and began to trace and follow where the money has been laundered to, fortunately for me, this recovery team was able to trace and recover a huge chunk of my money, through blockchain technology. I was very pleased with how they handled my case and helped me gained my confidence back. Their contact information is Morphohack@CyberServices.Com
Post a Comment