Monday, January 30, 2017

Mr. Pollo

-Grubbing in Chicago  
Cheap Eats

I can't tell you how many times I've driven past today's post but it's definitely in the 100's. Matter of fact I couldn't figure out if I'd been here or not. I do know that if I had it was years ago and maybe even before this sites existence. So not to long ago I was hungry and surprise, surprise, riding by.

Locals Favorite in Avondale 

Mr. Pollo calls itself a South American rotisserie. The menu is pretty much rotisserie chicken and the sides on offer with it. It seems to be a popular stop for many of the city's Spanish speaking families as they had a nice crowd of them on my visit. The inside is minimum but clean. A poster of the Chimborazo (highest mountain in Ecuador) gives a clue as to the background of the family that owns the place. So how's the chicken? Well it's like alot of other rotisserie chickens in that it's skin isn't all that crispy but the meat falls right off the bone. I enjoy a nice rotisserie chicken now and then and Mr. Pollo makes a more than passable bird. But where it stands out is in the salsa. The salsa verde that accompanied my 1/4 chicken with two sides ($7.99) was so good I used it not just to dip the chicken meat into but also enhance both the black beans and potatoes on the side. I'd call it addictive.

1/4 Chicken with Black Beans and Mashed Potatoes 

Mr. Pollo
3026 W Belmont
Chicago, IL 60618
(773) 509-1208

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails