Friday, January 27, 2017

Noon Hour Grill

-Grubbing in Chicago  
Korean Comfort Food

Noon Hour Grill aka Susie's has been a food staple for multiple generations of Chicago's Northside. You can tell this upon entering though you can get the idea from the outside as well. It's an old school diner with comfort Korean food on the menu. Tucked away on a side street off of Morse it's the type of spot someone usually has to tell you about. I found out through the old LTHforum and have enjoyed dining here ever since first reading about others love for not just the food but Susie herself.

Locals favorite in Rogers Park 

Susie is usually a one woman show. She takes orders, she cooks, she serves. A true treasure indeed. Her menu is broken down into Korean favorites and American classics. While there's lots of good food on offer one of the customer favorites are the omelettes. Both bulgogi and kimchee work so well with salty melted American cheese it's easy see why this dish is loved by so many. Susie also has the mysterious meal of Aktagawa on her menu. I'm pretty sure here and Hamburger King (now Rice N' Bread) are the only two spots in the city to feature this unique dish that's said to have been born at the old Hamburger King. It mixes chopped hamburger meat with eggs and other veggies like bamboo shoots and is served with rice. Susie's is different in that hers doesn't come with a gravy aka HK. It's good but I prefer the one over in Wrigleyville when it comes to this dish.

Octogawa Scramble (Hamburger Meat with Scrambled Egg, Mixed veggie, Sugar, Soy Sauce 

I dont know about you but the way I go about judging a Korean diner is a bowl of their bi bim bop which translates to "mixed rice" This is probably the most well known Korean dish amongst gringos like myself. It's probably the first dish of Korean descent I ever ate and I love a bowl to this day. Susie's might serve the best in Chicago. Or at least one of my favorites. For me its the sauce that separates it from others. I dont know if it's homemade but I love pouring it on the bulgogi beef and egg and all the veggies and mixing it all up into the rice and going to town on it. The only thing that might be holding this back is the fact it's served in a regular bowl and not a flaming hot stone bowl.

Bi Bim Bop

Noon Hour Grill
6930 N Glenwood Ave
Chicago, IL 60626
(773) 338-9494

1 comment:

Atomicman said...

The Fullerton Diner at Fullerton and Western used to serve it years ago when I lived down the street.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails