Thursday, July 30, 2026

TXA TXA Club

-Grubbing in Chicago
Creative Cooking in Logan Square

We’re more than halfway thru 2026 and I’m finding it tough to come up with a bunch of names as far as best new restaurants in Chicago go. I haven’t been everywhere but I’ve been to most of the spots I want to try that have opened thus far, there’s just not that many and it’s not for a lack openings either. Over the past few years a lot of restaurants in Chicago and beyond have gravitated toward concepts that feel safe. Stuff like smash burgers, pizza, chicken sandwiches, casual Italian, or steakhouse adjacent spots. I guess these formats have broad appeal but to me they all feel the same. I’m looking for spots that stand out in a crowded field and with that there’s only been a few exceptions lately. 


Recently Opened in Logan Square

TXA TXA Club is an all day cafe at 3268 W. Fullerton Ave. It went from a pop-up supper club to a permanent brick and mortar space earlier this year. Rather than fitting neatly into the "brunch spot" or "coffee shop" categories it gives off a European style cafe vibes. You can stop in for coffee at 8a or linger over lunch at high noon, meet friends for an aperitivo after work, or make a date place for cocktails and dinner in the evening. It’s a neighborhood type of spot. The name "TXA TXA" ("cha-cha") comes from the Basque word txoko, referring to social dining clubs centered on cooking, eating, gathering. That philosophy is reflected throughout as they host Sunday night supper clubs platforming chefs from around town while the menu isn’t really identifiable as far as one single cuisine goes. 


Pimento Cheese, Nam Prik Pao, lime cured pickles, saltines

The dishes here borrow ideas from the American South, Mediterranean and Southeast Asia often combining ingredients you wouldn't expect to see together. You’ll find a delicious rendition of housemade Pimento Cheese mixed with nam prik pao and served with lime cured lime pickles and classic saltine crackers. Nam Prik Pao is a Thai roasted chili jam that presents many flavor profiles ranging from sweet to smoky to funky and it pairs nicely with the sharp and creamy pimento cheese while the sweet pickles build even more flavor in what’s typically a very traditional dish.


Honeydew, Rhubarb Jim Jaew, Sweet Lime Oxalis

Depending on the season, you might find perfectly scooped balls of melon with rhubarb jim jaew, sweet lime, oxalis. As soon as I saw that on the menu I thought “that’s an interesting dish!” Jim Jaew is a Thai style dipping sauce usually made with chilis, toasted rice, herbs, lime juice, and fish sauce and I never thought to use it with sweet in-season melon but upon further review it’s a popular snack in Thailand. I love learning of new dishes thru restaurants which isn’t all that common for me anymore. I’d never even heard of Oxalis which is a little clover-like herb that adds a bright lemony tang and a nice visual finish to dishes. I appreciate a place where I can learn about new things. 


Butter Beans, Pea Shoot, Zhoug, Fenugreek, Egg

There is no burger or fried chicken sandwich on the menu. They do have a breakfast sandwich with a house made pork patty plus Umeboshi aioli and Salmoriglio that’s garnered buzz though I haven’t tried it yet. But you get the idea - Umeboshi is Japanese pickled plum and Salmoriglio is an Italian lemon and herb sauce. Quite an interesting combo. Some dishes switch in and out depending on the season such as a plate of butter beans with pea shoots, zhoug, fenugreek, and egg. Both my visits came on hot summer days and this dish was perfect paired with the heat. It was revitalizing. Same can be said for the cold noodles which are extra refreshing in their own right. Thin and slippery wheat noodles mixed with XO sauce, sesame, sweet soy, and a ton of fresh herbs is super satisfying.


Cold Noodles, XO Sauce, Sesame, Sweet Soy, Herbs

As you can see meat isn’t a focal point on the menu here. But they do have the previously mentioned breakfast sandwich as well as a pork curry. The latter is listed as BBQ Pork and described as a yellow curry with Chinese broccoli and Jasmine rice. It’s a pretty plain description for a dish with a ton of depth. I was transported to South Florida upon first taste in that it has a very Caribbean flavor profile to me. It’s been awhile since a dish got a real wow from me and there was more than one at that. I highly encourage people to check this place out and give them some encouragement for going against the grain at a time when most everybody else is playing it super safe. Now is the perfect time to do so with the summer harvest in full swing. The current menu pairs really well with the heat.


BBQ Pork, Yellow Curry, Gai Lan, Jasmine Rice

TXA TXA Club
3268 W Fullerton Ave
Chicago, IL 60647 
(773) 799-8511

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails