Saturday, November 29, 2008

Cookin' Cajun in Chicago

--Tailgatin' and how to make mofos start playa hatin' (Recipes)

One of the best parts about the USA to me is the regional eating from coast to coast from the border towns of Canada to the Mexico border. There are so many different types of food specialties across all 50 states as well as specific cuisine's that originated from the family's who relocated to America and used the areas produce and resources to make food unique to that region. One of the best culinary experiences in the USA is the Cajun & Creole cuisine of Louisiana.

I love Cajun food and on a trip to New Orleans right before the hurricane I learned how much I love food travel. I haven't been on a trip since that did not revolve around food in some way or another since. When I lived in Madison I had weekly visits to New Orleans Takeout which is one of Madison's best restaurants for good eats. We don't really have anything in Chicago close to as good as NOTO let alone the real deal down south. So when this is the case I just do it myself. My goal is to become a better than good Cajun cook. Nothing is quite as fragrant as the aroma of Cajun cooking on a cold Sunday afternoon while watching football.


KingT's Cajun wangs (recipe coming soon)

First thing your going to want to do is make your own hot sauce for the all the meals you make in the future. Here is a Tabasco style sauce I created with a batch of fresh grown hot peppers from Uncle Gary. You can use any type of hot red peppers that you can come across.

Uncle Gary's Hot Peppers Hot Sauce (makes about 6 cups)

2 lb's of red chili peppers
2-3 cups of Borinquen homemade vinegar or regular white
half on an onion chopped down
3 garlic cloves
Cajun seasoning

Combine the chile's, garlic, onions and the vinegar so that everything is just covered in a saucepan and heat.



Stir in the salt and seasoning and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, cool, and place in a blender.

Puree until smooth and place in a glass jar and allow to steep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Remove, strain the sauce, and adjust the consistency by adding more vinegar if necessary.


KingT's Tabasco style hot sauce

The sauce came out a spicy bright orange very thin sauce that I cant stop using on everything I eat now. Its not super hot so don't be scared to make yourself a batch. Just don't be surprised when your addicted to it. I already know that this sauce would make a great buffalo sauce coating for wings so Ill be trying those soon.

New Orleans Take Out (two locations)
1920 Fordem Ave
Madison, WI 53704
(608) 241-6655

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails