Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Mojo's East Coast Eats

-The Sammy's of Chi (land)

Remember the days when "suburban food" equaled a few franchised restaurants a pizza place and a Chinese restaurant next to the dry cleaners? Yeah me too, it wasn't so long ago. These days it's much different. You can pretty much go to most any Chicagoland located suburb and find a quality mom and pop type spot to feed you. It might not always be better than your favorite example in the city but it will always beat a Big Mac or Whopper. Take Mojo's in Downers Grove for example.

East Coast style sandwich shop in Downers Grove 

I'd read up on this place thru the Grub Seeker aka jimswside on LTHforum. He does the 'burbs and wherever he goes justice when it comes down to finding the best local spots to eat at. On his review over at LTH he mentioned how he'd been on a major cheesesteak kick and Mojo's was the reason why. He talked to the guy who owns the place who hails from Doylestown, Pennsylvania originally. He's bringing the preferred way to lunch out East to the Western burbs. As to be expected the lead role here is their cheesesteak sandwich which is made of freshly sliced ribeye and served on a traditional Amoroso's roll. Eight ounces of chopped up meat goes into the bread and itty bitty bits of sauteed onions and the melted cheese of your choice rounds it all out. A fine example.

Cheesesteak Sandwich from Mojo's

The steak sandwich is pretty great for those of us that enjoy the aroma of meat and onions though I actually prefer the cheese steak hoagie. It's just a regular cheesesteak with lettuce, tomato and mayo on top but it all works so well together reminding me alot of the now defunct Hoagie Hut from Lincoln Park. Sometimes you just crave for these flavors and need them, that happened to me after the first time I tried Mojo's. I was back within a week, lucky for me I was already due out that way so I killed two birds with one stone. Unluckily for me, I haven't been back in the area since so I still haven't tried a hoagie or anything else. Fries are freshly cut and come with the option of Old Bay seasoning which can also be an addictive pair. I know where I'm eating next time I'm out there.

Cheesesteak Hoagie with Old Bay Spiced Fries

Mojo's East Coast Eats
2758 Maple Ave
Downers Grove, IL 60515
(630) 796-2832
Website

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails