Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Chinatown Lunch

-Grubbing in Chicago 
Cheap Eats in Chinatown

I thought it was time for a new series here at S'C'&C. I don't post much on the Chinese food in Chicago because the good spots are pretty well known. As fast as a new spot opens up shop the local food writers are there ordering off the menu. But there's still lots of spots in Chinatown that are relatively unknown to many. Today's spots tend to focus on cheap lunches in Chinatown.
__________________________________________________

BBQ King House 

Here we have what's always been my old reliable when it comes to a quick lunch (or dinner) in Chinatown. Located in the mall this place is pretty no frills as far as the food. The BBQ hanging in the front display is what its all about. Both the President and the First Lady are fans as their pictures with the owner adorn the wall. People like my aunt and uncle are regulars for the Peking Duck but I tend to always order the BBQ Pork plate over white rice. You get a ton of food for under $6. I love the crispy yet still moist pieces of pork and the little side of sweet sauce poured all over it.

BBQ Pork over White Rice
__________________________________________________

Chi Cafe

One day last winter I really wanted a hopping bowl of wonton soup. I did a little bit of research via google and there seemed to be a ton of mentions for Chi Cafe which is also in the mall. I walked over and ordered up. What I got was a whole bunch of meh. The dumplings themselves weren't bad but the broth tasted like water that had been dyed to a certain color. I don't think I need to go back.

Wonton Soup
__________________________________________________

Gourmet Food

This place is hugely popular amongst the locals for their cheap eats. Items like minced beef with peas over rice aren't exactly gourmet but they are comforting if you grew up with them. The Salt & Pepper dishes get lots of mentions on reviews, particularly the chicken version. What you get is a bunch of dark meat chopped up and then coated with batter and lots of MSG.  I can see why some people make this their guilty snack of choice. Spicy, crispy, crunchy, its got lots of tasty traits.

Salt & Pepper Chicken
__________________________________________________

BBQ King House
2148 S Archer Ave
Chicago, IL 60616
(312) 326-1219

Chi Cafe
2160 S Archer Ave
Chicago, IL 60616
(312) 842-9993

Gourmet Food
210 W 23rd St
Chicago, IL 60616
(312) 842-3366

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chi Cafe is always a decent spot to hit up, especially late at night. I always go with the Spicy Seafood Noodle Soup as well as some stir fry green beans. Its really perfect for late night and thats about it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails