Monday, August 16, 2010

Manny's Corned Beef & Pastrami

-The Sammy's of Chi

Did you know that August is national Sandwich month? I did not. Otherwise I would of had some special post ready to go. Well I also learned that National Sandwich Day is November 3rd, 2010 so you can expect one of those then. So instead I switched up my schedule and am going to share with my loyal readers one of my favorite sandwiches in Chicago. Manny's Deli came to be shortly after World War II when one of two brothers who worked at a family cafeteria on Van Buren and Halsted left to open his own place which would be Manny's located on Roosevelt road not too far from Old Maxwell Street Market. Here we are with the fourth generation of the family working there and Manny's is still doing it up right and is Chicago's best deli, bar none.


Manny's has been at its current location since 1964 and is loved by all

Please note a couple things 1) It's impossible to pick one sandwich as the best. However the corned beef/pastrami with a slice of Swiss on top from Manny's would be on any list I compiled and 2) Yes I've been to Manny's many of times and it is one of my favorites but its been featured everywhere else and I try to switch it up. I was going to do a classics of Chicago month sometime in the future that includes Manny's and many other well known spots in the area loved by locals, the relocated and tourists alike. So don't think I haven't been everywhere. You can expect more on the beloved Chicago deli later in life. Believe me when I tell you that this sandwich is on any best sandwiches in Chicago list including my own. It comes piled high with both corned beef and pastrami and includes a potato pancake (seen on top of sammy) and a pickle. It will fill you up for more than a few hours. The sandwich should be a landmark just like the restaurant is. It's my favorite thing to order at one of my favorite spots to eat. Happy National Sandwich Month.


corned beef/pastrami sandwich from Manny's

Manny's Coffee Shop & Deli
1141 South Jefferson Street
Chicago, IL 60607
(312) 939-2855

Website

Manny's Coffee Shop & Deli on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails