Friday, August 20, 2010

Add An Egg...

-Grubbing in Chicago
Where the locals eat.

Hello readers, how's life? its a sad day here at at S'C'&C which you can learn why as you read on. I have had this post in the plans for months now but due to the sudden closing of a chibbqking favorite-CND Gyros Lounge-I am forced to switch up my schedule and bring you this post that I have been meaning to make for at least a year now. Adding an egg onto anything has been a trendy thing for a few years now and doesn't look to be dying anytime soon. I'm fine by that. I love a fried egg on top of my meal whether its a burger, sandwich, hot dog, lunch plate, bowl of rice, whatever. So today I am taking you to two spots already featured here on S'C'&C except today were going to add an egg to both these longtime downtown favorites.
________________________________________

One Last Gyro Melt (add an egg)


a former locals favorite downtown - RIP - (1973-2010)

It saddens me to be the bearer of bad news had you not heard it already but after 37 years the Streeterville favorite CND Gyro's Lounge will be closing down for good. Today (8/21/'10) is the last day of operation for this longtime favorite where you could get a gyros, some brew and a few lotto tickets all while doing karaoke to former #1 Chicago hit. Yep at CND you could do all of that. Its one of the last of its type in downtown Chicago and come 2am Sunday morning it will be no more. I have let it be known that the Gyro melt offered at CND is one of Chicago's best late-nite and or early morning hangover eats out there. I was introduced to it thru LTH and loved it upon my first bite a few years back. Then it got even better when someone from over there suggested it be ordered with a fried egg on top. When you pair fresh shaved gyro meat with processed American cheese, grilled onions and tzatziki sauce with a fried egg on top and throw it all on Texas toast good things happened. I had to stop by CND yesterday for one last melt. I sure will miss this sandwich and the old time warp that was CND Gyros Lounge.


Gyro melt with fried egg (RIP)
________________________________________

Cheezeborger, Cheezeborger (add an egg)


The tavern SNL (and some damn good burgers) made famous

So with CND closing down that leaves Billy Goats as one of the last old school food/drink/bar spots in downtown Chicago. You never say never but I don't think Billy Goats will be calling it quits down on lower Wacker anytime soon. I've been going to and enjoying this original Billy Goats since I was a kid and as my readers know, I am a fan of their double cheeseburgers. Well on my most recent visits I've been ordering my usual double but now I like to add an egg. In my original grading of the Goat I gave it a C++ but when a fried egg is added on top it improves to a B. I should of known this since they are said to have good breakfast sandwiches. Maybe next time I'll add the egg and some bacon.


double cheeseburger with a fried egg on top from Billy Goat
________________________________________

CND Gyros & Lounge
205 E Grand Ave - At N St Clair St
Chicago, IL 60611
312 467-4195

Billy Goat Tavern
430 N Michigan ave. (lower level)
Chicago, IL
(312) 222-1525

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails