Monday, September 29, 2008

Beef from Pop's

--Got Beef? Italian Beef

Maybe the reason I have such a picky palate when it comes to Italian beef is because I have been exploring the different beef joint's of the city since my youth. While y'all were eating at Mr. Beef and Portillo's thinking you were heaven, I was in beef heaven. I have two favorite beef sandwiches that I was introduced to in my youth, Pop's and Jay's. Pop's is out on the south side and I would consider it the best IB out south and still in my starting five for the all Chicago beef team. I have been eating at Pop's for 15+ years. Back in the day when me and family would be at our grandma's for Sunday dinner, me, my brother and my cousins would always ride bikes over to Pop's to eat beef and gravy bread before dinner. Yes, I was taking food journeys before I even had a license.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEidzvFFLjFoJE4fyZxG931h2JhfitqS8dNwwjIL7k-6PeCO0mIS3teQrcGhTHzVbBCYtZbZ3nL9tEH07j7j1UnKhIfBz-5jgOWXWJuMSUacl26RRCCZUAWiiUWGN2TOUivPRqtXC-9d2Oo/s1600-h/P1000443.JPG
Pop's in Beverly is one of the King's all time favorites

Pop's does everything above average and it makes one of the better beef's in the city no matter where you are. They slice their beef ultra thin and dont skim on it by any means. Im a huge fan of the hot peppers at pop's, some of the best around. This was my favorite restaurant as a kid and still one of my favorite beef joints in the Chi. It really hasnt changed aside from a few more locations throughout the area. Unlike other places that expand they seem to do the same good beef at each location. I would still recommend the original on Kedzie though. Folks on the south side are lucky to have such a good beef that hasnt changed. Its always got a constant flow of traffic and they aint dumb, they do a beef dinner to go for all the family's busy with school and sports activities. You get the beef, roll of bread, gravy and giardinara and do it all up at home. This way the wife doesnt have to cook and dad and the kids are happy, everyone loves Pop's. Ill be goin here til the day I die. Go Cub's.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3244/2886962224_01fbba6861.jpg
beef wit hot from Pop's

Rating Scale 5/5

beef: 5
bread: 4
gravy: 4
hot peppers: 5


Score: 18/20

Pop's Italian Beef and Sausage
10337 S Kedzie Ave
Chicago, IL 60655
(773) 239-1243
www.popsbeef.com

Pop's Italian Beef on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh! my god we eat there 3-4 times a week. They do everthing right even the price!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails