Monday, April 15, 2019

Mirabella

-Grubbing in Chicago
Old School Italian-American in Avondale

Old School red sauce Italian is something I still yearn for now and then. Problem is as the days go by this becomes harder to find. Longtime spots close and or lose their momentum in the kitchen. One day this past winter I really wanted some red sauce Italian. So much so I considered the idea of my first trip to Olive Garden in forever. I wont see it was a big deal when the city got it's first OG but I've always been curious to go by and check it out since they first opened. Then I looked at the menu.

Locals Favorite in Avondale

Here's where Mirabella comes in. After realizing the pricing at Olive Garden is the same if not more than your average neighborhood red sauce spot I had no interest in going there. Not bc I'm cheap but bc if I'm going to spend $22 an entree I'd rather support local. Mirabella just so happens to be almost across the street from Olive Garden on Addison. Remembering that made my decision easy. How did I forget that housed in an old German restaurant is some of the most reasonably priced red sauce Italian in the city. After a nearly 40 year run as one of the city's premier German restaurants Mirabell as it was called switched over to an Italian steakhouse menu. Not only is the food better than spots with a similar menu around town it's cheaper too. Plus there's free parking in the lot across the street. The menu is typical old school Italian which means plenty of options for everybody in your party.

Country Style Rigatoni (pork fennel sausage, sweet peas, in a tomato cream sauce and Romano cheese) at Mirabella

I've been here twice now and now both times left full and happy. Grilled calamari, sausage and peppers, and shrimp De Jonghe are just a few of the appetizers I recommend. Just make sure to save some room for your entree bc those come with soup and salad not to mention the warm bread served gratis to start. There's not many spots left that pile it on like Mirabella. When I want some red sauced pasta the country style rigatoni from here is always something I can enjoy. Mirabaella makes sure to hit on all the elements that make for great Italian-American food. The best item on the menu here might be the Chicago classic that is Chicken Vesuvio. One of the few chicken dishes worth ordering at an old school Italian-American spot in Chicago. But not everyone makes this classic composed of chicken on the bone with wedges of potato sauteed in olive oil, garlic, oregano, peas, white wine, and then baked until crisp. Some say Harry Carey's has the best Vesuvio in town but I haven't been there in ages. My vote goes to Mirabella. I'm not sure why anyone would go to Olive Garden over here.

Chicken Vesuvio at Mirabella

Mirabella
3454 W Addison St
Chicago, IL 60618
(773) 463-1962
Website

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails