Friday, September 30, 2016

Kizuki Ramen & Izakaya

-Grubbing in Chicago 
Ramen in Wicker Park

Weather is starting to turn which means soup season is on the horizon. Chicago continues to get a blitz of ramen restaurants. In the case of Kizuki it came here from Tokyo. It sits on a busy strip for noodle slurping as both Oiistar and Furious Spoon are on the same block. I checked it out recently.

Semi New Ramen Spot in Wicker Park

Kizuki doubles as an Izakaya but the menu is definitely more geared towards the ramen. Still some of the non-ramen menu items looked tempting. For example I kept seeing the prawn toast mentioned as a must get when dining in. I got it. It was good but not anything I need to run back for. I'd get it again but in the end it's just fried shrimp in triangle form. Not that there's anything wrong with fried shrimp.

Prawn Toast

The draw here is the ramen. I got the spicy bowl on offer. I was happy with the product but I didn't think it was on the same level as some of Chicago's better ramen options. The noodles were nice but a tad too thin for my liking. The broth has nice flavor but wasn't as deep as some of the others I really like. The pork was tender but not as much so as other spots around town. All in all this is a good bowl of ramen to have in your 'hood but not one you need to come in for from another 'hood. It does the trick when in Wicker Park but probably won't have you coming back from Rogers Park.

Spicy Ramen

Kizuki Ramen & Izakaya
1482 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 270-4150
Website 

1 comment:

Steve D. said...

It is a nice venue. You could go there for its "Happy Hour" when appetizers (gyoza) and draft beer are on special. Versus Furious Spoon, there is no blaring uncensored hip-hop playing in the background.
Randy Mosher hosted an evening of 5 Rabbit Beer with Kizuki's entrees once.
There was one episode when I was served somebody else's ramen which of course it could not redistribute; so I had to finish two bowls of ramen in one setting, which I could not remember the last time I had to do so. Yes, I finished both bowls.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails