Friday, October 30, 2009

More of KingT's Wing's & DRose

--Tailgatin' and how to make mofos start playa hatin' (Recipes)

You might remember last year's post that included some wing recipes along with a '08-'09 Bull's season preview. Well the preview was more like a look forward to what Derrick Rose could be. So you can catch my upcoming season preview at the end of the article. Now on to the wings! I'm always looking for great wing recipes and I have a few more to share with you here today. Before I get to those though let me show you how I usually prepare my wings pre-sauce. I always use a standard rub for wings to add an extra coat of flavor before they tossed in buffalo sauce or whatever happens to be the flavor of the day.

The video I took below with my camera is how they should look before they come off of the grill. You cant time them you just kind of know when they're ready. It takes some practice like anything else. As long as that grill is snappling, crackling and popping like it is in the video you should be good to go after 20 minutes or a little after. I still haven't found anything near as good to the chicken drumettes offered at Whole Foods. They make GREAT wings.


Listen to that sizzle baby (wings with my rub ready to go)

Chicken Kings Rub

1 TBLS kosher salt
1 TBLS granulated garlic
1 TSP onion powder
1 TSP fresh black pepper
1 TSP cayenne

Kings Chicken Club Wings

So the first wing recipe I'm going to throw at you is a chibbqking original. I came up with this idea when I was thinking of a way to make wings that I hadn't tried before. An in the works BLT dippin sauce from Wiener & Still Champion gave me this idea. Chicken Club wings which is my wings rubbed with my standard recipe above and then grilled. I took some mayo and blended it with a few baby tomato's and tossed the sauce with fried bacon bits and chopped lettuce.


Bacon bits make everything better

Recipe

Chicken Wings rubbed with standard rub recipe (see above)
mayo with some old bay seasoning mixed in (2 TSP is good)
baby tomatoes or half of a Roma chopped
4-8 pieces of fried bacon, chopped to bits
chopped lettuce

~Grill the wings until done

~10 minutes before taking the wings off blend the mayo and tomatoes and throw some bacon and lettuce on top and mix it up a little.

~Serve the wings with sauce on the side to use for dipping.


Chicken Wings with a BLT dipping sauce blend


These turned out surprisingly good and I'll be making them again...and again

Josh Bousel's Grilled Buffalo Wings

Next up is one of the best wing recipes I have found on the net. I got this from Serious Eat's and made it a few times this summer and have plans for them this weekend. Yes Buffalo wings are usually fried and in a sense they need to be. That's what I thought anyways. I love wings fried but I also love them grilled but I would say I prefer them grilled. One of the reasons for that is this recipe right here. When you char up some perfect looking wings and toss them with this super delicious sauce you get some of the best wings you can make.

Grilled Buffalo Wings
-Sauce recipe adapted from Cooks Illustrated
-Recipe from Serious Eats


Ingredients

3 pounds chicken wings (18 wings), cut up
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Sauce

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup hot sauce, preferably Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce
2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce or other hot sauce
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
Procedure

1. Mix together the cayenne, black pepper, and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture all over the chicken wings. Place the wing in the refrigerator until ready to use. (This can be done the night before.)

2. Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the rest of the sauce ingredients until combined. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. Light a chimney 3/4 full of charcoal. When charcoal is fully lit and covered in gray ash, pour coals out and arrange them on one side of the charcoal grate, keeping the other side empty. Place the wings over the cool side of the grill, cover, and cook until skins are lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Move the wings to the hot side of the grill and continue to cook until the skins have crisped, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the wings to a bowl. Pour the sauce over the wings and toss to coat evenly. Remove wings to a plate and serve hot.


Grilled Buffalo Wings are a must for any tailgate

Baxter Road Grilled Chicken Wings

If your a BBQ junkie and you don't own the Barbecue Bible go get a copy. I've had one since it came out and I still love going to it for a recipe a few times a year. The author, Steven Raichlen, has traveled the globe eating BBQ and the recipes and info from this book, which he put together from those travels, is excellent. I'm eventually going to try all the recipe and I finally got to one that I had wanted to try since I first got the book. I'm always interested in regional eats and that includes all the countries. I especially love the Caribbean and I want to get to Barbados one day, especially after reading Mr. Raichlen's description. For now I had to settle for this recipe which is a take on the chicken served along Baxter Road to the party people of the island. It's served into the wee hours of the morning and is a Barbados staple. Click HERE for the excerpt from the Barbecue Bible. I might make it over there this winter. I used wings instead of whole chickens.

Recipe from The Barbecue! Bible by Steven Raichlen

Note: You can receive the full recipe with numbers from the excerpt page.

chicken wings
clove garlic, peeled
shallots, peeled
bunch chives or scallions, trimmed
green bell pepper, medium, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
rib celery, medium, coarsely chopped
scotch bonnet chile or 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced (for a milder marinade, seed the chiles)
tbs parsley, fresh Italian, (flat-leaf)
tsp thyme, chopped fresh, or 1 teaspoon dried
tbs lime juice, fresh, or to taste
tbs soy sauce
tbs olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. Rinse the chicken pieces under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Place in a large nonreactive bowl or baking dish and set aside while you prepare the marinade.

2. Combine the garlic, shallots, chives, bell pepper, celery, chile, parsley, and thyme in a food processor and process to a smooth paste. Add 2 tablespoons lime juice, the soy sauce, and oil and process until blended and smooth. Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, and lime juice as needed; the mixture should be highly seasoned. Pour the mixture over the chicken in the bowl and turn the pieces to coat. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 4 to 12 hours (the longer the better).


Sauce after blending

3. Preheat the grill, using the two-tiered method.

4. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Remove the chicken pieces from the bowl, reserving any marinade that has drained off. Arrange the pieces, skin side down, on the grate over the hotter section of the grill and cook. Brush the pieces once or twice with the reserved marinade, but not during the last 5 minutes.

5. Transfer the chicken pieces to serving plates or a platter and serve.


Baxter Road Wings

Last but by no means least are the best wings I had on the BarB this year. You can have them at home too. The only problem is your going to have to vacation in Negril and grab some jerk sauce from Bourbon Beach. I still have half a bottle left and these wings I marinated in them overnight were simply divine.


Grilled Bourbon Beach Wings

-Dish me out a combo: Food & Sports

The second year is the most telling year of a future NBA star. Almost all the stars stepped their game up a next level after being in the league for a full year. I think we saw the potential I expected and I still stand by him being one of the games next big things. An Eastern Conference All Star Starter (because he deserves to be not b/c the fans like him) and eventually an all out winner and possible leader of a Championship team. I think this years team is good enough for 5th or 6th seed in the East and may as good as fourth. They could win a series or two. I know we lost Gordon but Salmons is a player who's average has gone up every year in the league and I like him to keep that up this year. Whether or not Vinny's can grow as a coach is TBD. I do like the fact we are preaching D and the team is responding. I expect the Bulls to be much better on D which was our weakest problem last year.


Derrick Rose's Rookie Year Top 10 from NBA.com

With the second year emergence of Rose tagged along with a rising legitimate player in Noah teamed up with Salmons and Miller (acq. at last years trade deadline) I think the loss of Gordon will help on D and hurt a little on offense. However I think it helps more on D than it hurts the O. I'm not sure about the Rook's, while I don't not like them I don't love them, but hey that's cause there rookies and a DRose only comes around once a decade. I expect Rose to step it up and take it to the hole very often and Salmons to find a home and others to contribute like Noah. I could easily see him averaging a double double this year and I am most impressed with his play this preseason. No one has made bigger strides than he has from the Celtics series up to now. I still think we need a experienced or an up and rising young coach who has served his time. Oh and a Boozer, Bosh or whoever comes on the block or hits FA next summer will really help too.


Remember the 90's? we have another franchise guy

I do expect a playoff series win this year and Rose to become one of the games best. I'm predicting 41 wins. We always have a brutal schedule to start the year due to the circus trip but this year is as hard as ever. Get out and get to a game. You'll be able to tell your kids you watched a legend grow. Chicago Bull's Basketball.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails