Friday, October 19, 2018

Frunchroom

-Grubbing in Chicago
New to the 'Scene'

Portage Park wasn't a spot I expected to find one of my favorite openings in 2018. Logan Square? West Loop? Sure. But Portage Park would never have been a guess. Well things change and ever so slowly this neighborhood is becoming somewhat of a dining destination. Frunchroom is at the forefront of this. Opened in the beginning of the year by Chef/owner Matt Saccaro this is his ode to both Italian and Jewish Deli's of yesteryear. That said the only traditions they really harp on are that of making damn bear everything in house. While the menu has classics most all of them are amped up.

 Newly Opened in Portage Park 

One of the most buzzed about practices at Frunchroom is the charcuterie program. It features a menu with both fish and meats, and there's a board with fresh local cheeses too. These are a good way to start a meal. So far we've tried a handful of the offerings and none have disappointed. I would say the chicken liver mousse is a must. We also loved the finocchiona and the trout salad. If you see the pimento cheese it's perfect for being North of the Mason Dixon line. When I say damn near everything is homemade look no further than the assortment of pickled veggies and grilled sourdough.

Charcuterie Boards at frunchroom 

Frunchroom does breakfast, lunch, brunch, and pizza nights (Thursday). Many of the items overlap such as the house made bagels which are always available. They make an everything bagel as well as a sesame seed one and offer your choice of bagel and any of the fish selections on the chalkboard for  $10. On my most recent visit I tried the bagel with some housemade lox which absolutely rocked. I don't recall any lox I've ever had being as firm and flavorful as Frunchroom's. While I would've preferred the bagel come un-toasted it was the lox that was front and center and delicious either way.

Bagel and Lox at the Frunchroom 

There's a nice healthy selection of sandwich classics such as grilled cheese, chicken schnitzels, and BLT's. The last of which was really good this past summer. All of the sandwiches include the option to add fries and the answer is an enthusiastic YES! After a few visits I put these in my Top 5 in the city.

BLT Sandwich at Frunchroom 

Since everything at Frunchroom is delicious I feel like the namesake burger has flown under the radar of many. Locally sourced beef with pickles, onions, special sauce, and cheese on a sesame seed bun. Along with the fries I thought this was the type of meal I'd be satisfied with if it was my last meal in America or even my first meal back after being gone for a long time. It definitely scratches that itch. The only thing I haven't been able to try is Pizza Night which is Thursday's. I'm hoping to put the BYOB option to use one of these upcoming Thursday's. I already know the pizza will be money.

Cheeseburger at Frunchroom 

Frunchroom
4042 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60641
(773) 853-2160
Website

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails