Friday, June 2, 2017

Triano's Pizza

-Grubbing in Chicago  
Where the locals eat

There hasn't been a new post over at 'Beef with Hot' in over a year. The reason for this is because there just isn't that many more spots to review. I've basically been to all of the spots making Italian Beef in house. However of late a few new places have popped onto my radar. I learned of today's stop through Chicago's Hungry Hound aka Steve Dolinsky. I was surprised to learn of a place where the beef was homemade yet I had never been so we got in the car one night and rode out recently.

Locals Favorite on the city's Southwest Side

The Southwest corner of the city is where we were riding to. Triano's is basically a takeout type place that sits on the corner of Archer and a residential block. The menu is pretty typical pizza place food. However what most typical places dont do is make the beef and also the sausage in house. According to Dolinsky they started doing this not long ago. But first things first it's the pizza that put Triano's on the map with it's neighbors. Upon walking up I knew I was going to have to try some as the smell of it was just to much to resist. So we got a medium with the housemade sausage.

Tavern Style Pizza at Triano's

Rating Scale 5/5

crust: 3
sauce: 4
toppings: 4
Crispness: 4

Score: 15/20


The pizza was good not great. I wouldn't put it in my top 5 thin crusts in Chicagoland but I would no doubt be a regular if it was my local pizza stand. Best part about it was the sausage itself while the weak link was the thicker than norm crust. Just not my style. What about da beef? Not bad! First and foremost this was a huge sandwich. I swore that the hot peppers in the Dolinsky piece were different but the crunch in this batch was spot on. The bread was nicely soaked but not drenched thus the sandwich held up just fine. All in all this was an above average beef that hit the spot for sure.

Beef with Hot at Triano's

Rating Scale 5/5

beef: 4
bread: 4
gravy: 4
hot peppers: 4


Score: 16/20

Just outside of the restaurant is an old school hot dog cart setup. I asked the people running Gilardi Dogs if they were part of Triano's and they told me that they were good family friends. Seeing as how we were eating Italian Beef and Tavern Thin Pizza while drinking RC's it made sense to get a Mother-In-Law to go with them. The MIL being one of Chicago's uber regional eats. For those that aren't sure what a Mother-In-Law is I assume you missed the Anthony Bourdain No Reservations episode featuring Chicago? It's not really found on the Northside but in these parts people eat them.

Gilardi Dogs

The Mother-In-Law Sandwich is a tamale served in a hot dog bun. The tamale being the Chicago style type you find at most of the city's old school hot dog stands. Totally different from it's Mexican cousin. At Gilardi's they dress them Chicago style and as a born and bred Chicago boy I find these to be not bad at all. Not something I seek out but I enjoy one once every couple years. Fun stop.

Mother-In-Law Sandwich

Triano's
6758 W Archer Ave
Chicago, IL 60638
(773) 229-1444
Website

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails