Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Moon's Sandwich Shop

-Grubbing in Chicago
Where the locals eat

Hard to believe it but this is post #1000. Seems like just yesterday I was playing around on my computer when deciding to start this site. That was actually in 2008 and while I don't have anything to special planned for #1000 I thought it was the perfect time to go back to the sites roots. When I started S'C'&C my only goal was to bring light to the lesser traveled spots of the city and the restaurants within those areas. One of the first places I ever set out to was Moon's Sandwich Shop.

Locals Favorite on the West Side 

Located on Western just south of Madison Moon's is one of those places that's been around longer than most. They date back to 1933. I've been coming here since at least 2008 when I first learned of it over at LTHforum through the legendary GWiv. I knew my guy knew good food and his love of Moon's shot it onto my radar. So what took me so long to post about it? Truth be told I always wanted to feature a big post on all they offer but despite handfuls of trips here I cant ever get past the corned beef sandwich. While Moon's is a full fledged diner (open at 5:30a) their corned beef is king.

 a peek inside

A visit to Moon's usually means jumping into the storm. Rarely is this place not busy with folks from all over stopping by to dine in and take away. If you pay attention to what those people are ordering more than half of them are getting corned beef sandwiches. Moon's makes their corned beef in house and serves it in sandwich form and also as a dinner. The sandwich is one of my favorites anywhere.

 Corned Beef Sandwich at Moon's

Fresh sliced beef is piled to just the right height to where you can still take a normal bite. If you ask for everything they'll put mustard, lettuce, tomato, pickle on it but I prefer mine with just mustard and pickles on the side. No matter how hard I try to explore the rest of the menu I always find myself going back to this. On top of a perfectly made sandwich the people at Moon's are always cordial and on point as far as making sure you get your order in a timely fashion amidst the chaos. It's truly one of Chicago's great treasures when it comes to old school eateries with generations of customers.

 The insides 

Moon's Sandwich Shop
16 S Western Ave
Chicago, IL 60612
(312) 226-5094
Website

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails