Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Reggae Island

-Grubbing in Chicago
Southside Jerk Joints

I decided I will try to make this the summer that I finally attack the city's jerk chicken scene. It's been an ongoing idea of mine for a handful of years now however I've never been able to dedicate the time needed to do so. The truth is I'm not sure if I have that time these days anyway but I'm going to at the very least attempt to sample as many of them as I can. I plan to put it into one big guide that will most likely be featured elsewhere but in the meantime I will share some of the finds over here.

Locals Favorite in Back of the Yards 

Reggae Island is the definition of a shack. When it's all said and done this place might feel the most Jamaican as I couldn't help but feel like I was somewhere in the middle of town in Negril. It's also attached to a gas station and there's nowhere to sit so you'll be taking your jerk chicken to go. The signature item from here is what they call Jerk Chicken Fried Rice but truth be told it's a bit misleading. There is no fried rice in this dish but rather rice and peas with chopped jerked chicken sitting atop it. So it's basically like a Jamaican bowl but at $4/5 for a small which was actually really large this was a great little lunch with the housemade jerk sauce rounding it all out. More to come. 

Jerk Chicken Fried Rice at Reggae Island 

Reggae Island
5101 S Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60609
(773) 675-5039

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails