Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Zizi's Cafe

-Grubbing in Chicago
New to the 'Scene'

As I was cruising down Sheffield last week I noticed a new place had opened up shop about a block north of Diversey. Zizi's Mediterranean Cafe is what its called and they're a Turkish place. What caught my eye aside from the fact this place is new was the banner bragging about their bread being the best. So the next day I decided to head on over and see what was up.


Newly opened spot in LP/Lakeview

The first visit was good enough to where I've been back within a week since. I thought the house baked breads which I saw them baking when waiting were fantastic. I'll admit to not being an expert in Middle Eastern food but this place pleased me and it started with their bread. Both my orders were to go but they have a nice little setup for dining in and bonus points for those who like BYOB's. So far I've only done the shawarma or doner as it's called in Turkey. Very good and better than others I have had. I think I like the chicken a little more do to the fact that theres layers of peppers within the meat which is shaved off for sandwiches and plates.


Chicken Doner Sandwich

The chicken sandwich is a pretty good deal at $5.95. It includes fries but those are the biggest turnoff thus far about the place, the fries are served soggy, turn that oil up! But damn that bread! I really liked this sandwich which came with the meat of choice and also onions, carrots, lettuce, red cabbage and yogurt sauce. I'll get this again. I also really liked the "Zizi's favorite" wrap which came in their warm freshly baked bread along with choice of lamb or chicken with onions, tomatoes and arugula. Another high point is the niceness of the people who own this place. It's a welcome addition to the neighborhood as far as I'm concerned. Check them out.


Zizi's favorite wrap with lamb doner

Zizi's Cafe
2825 North Sheffield Ave
Chicago, IL 60657
(773) 697-9228
Website

Zizi's Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails