Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Mr. Pup

-In Chicago: Every Dog Has it's Day

There's not many old time hot dog stands that haven't been documented on here. While there are a ton left it's the tenth year of my ongoing series of peeks into Chicagoland hot dog stands. That said there still remains an elusive few. Today's stop Mr. Pup is one of them.You can tell from the faded sign and worn down feel inside that Mr. Pup has been a part of Des Plaines for a pretty long time.

Locals favorite in Des Plaines

The menu here is reflective of the menu at all the other mom and pop hot dog shops in the city. Meaning there's alot of different options from pizza puffs to cheese fries to super tacos and gyros. I was here for the hot dog and even though I knew they used skinless wieners I was also there for the atmosphere. When I go to a spot like Portillo's it doesn't bring me back to the hot dog eating days of my youth in the way a place like Mr. Pup does. These spots are a dying breed as they used to be much more prevalent. Luckily quite a few still hang on. So how was the hot dog? Not bad. If you're going to use the skinless variety you're in the right to top it with as many veggies from the garden as you can. In this case it was all of the Chicago classics plus cucumber. Like Byron's. Though the fries were frozen I do like that they were steak cut as you don't see that style around too much anymore.

Hot Dog and Fries at Mr. Pup

Mr. Pup
1262 Lee St
Des Plaines, IL 60018
(847) 298-3812

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails