Friday, March 18, 2016

Mr Taco

-Eating like a Mayan King in the Windy City

Its the freaking weekend baby I'm about to have me some fun! Today's stop is a weekend favorite of Cicero's heavy drinking crowd. It's also one of the few restaurants in town that Al Capone didn't frequent. At least not to my knowledge. Mr. Taco is old, but not that old. I don't have the exact date this place opened up on the corner of Ogden and Austin but it's been around for at least a couple decades. Open late this is the spot many local late night revelers find themselves post drinking.

Locals Favorite in Cicero 

First things first, as someone who's been to as many Chicagoland Mexican restaurants as anyone I know this isnt "real" Mexican food. Or is it? I mean it's owned and made by Mexicans. You can take up your idea of what authentic is with them. Today we're here for the food. The type that's great at soaking up lots of booze in the wee hours of the morning. Even though it's called Mr. Taco the tacos here aren't the most popular item however they are good in that American style Mexican food way.

Steak Taco 

Also good are the enchiladas which they sell by the single. Not many places do that so I'm not as well versed in enchiladas as I am tacos. They use a dark red sauce that might come from a can but I doubt thats whats on your mind when you've got a few whiskeys in you.

Beef Enchilada

You could say Mr. Taco has a cult following and the reason for that is the steak quesadilla. They make them a little bit different here. Using regular sized taco tortillas they take one and put it over a bunch of cheese melting on the flattop. The cheese then melts into the tortilla creating a cheesy, crispy outside. Steak and the toppings go on top and you basically eat the thing like a taco. This is one of my great guilty pleasures which I enjoy when out and about this way after 10:00pm. It might not be "authentic" but I'll be damned if its not good after you've had a few. See for yourself.

Steak Quesadilla

Mr Taco
5960 W Ogden Ave
Cicero, IL 60804
(708) 652-3767

1 comment:

Dan Sullivan said...

It opened in 1979, before that it was a greasy burger joint that was open 24 - 7.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails