Friday, November 6, 2015

Donuts, Cobbler, and Pie

-Grubbing in Chicago
For Your Sweet Tooth

As regular readers know I don't have much of a sweet tooth, during daytime hours anyway. Sometimes when I'm stuffed and the day is nearing an end and bed is calling I like to feed myself something sweet an hour or two before passing out. But I just don't have a crazy sweet tooth when the sun is still up. That said sometimes I do, usually after stuffing myself, and I do stop now and then for something sweet. Here's a trio of spots worth the sugar comatose they create. Don't overdo it.
________________________________________________________________________________

D&D's Tastee Freez

Locals Favorite in Ashburn 

One day a couple summers back I was cruising North down Kedzie when I saw something new had opened up at what was formerly a Tastee Freeze location. I pulled into the lot and was ready to try the donuts they speak of posted on the outside windows. "A Taste of the Old Fashioned" is the slogan at D&D's Place where the owner once worked at Chicago's famous Old Fashioned Donuts on South Michigan avenue. The owner of Old Fashioned gave the people at D&D's his blessing and everyone is happy. Especially the residents of Ashburn who now have a great morning eats option.

The Menu and Display Case

Those familiar with Old Fashioned Donuts know they make one of the meanest apple fritters you will ever have the pleasure of inhaling. You can now find what's basically that same donut at D&D. As far as apple fritters go this is as good of one you're likely to come across. There are no well worded sentences to describe it's greatness. It must be experienced. Once you go, you will know.

Apple Fritter

________________________________________________________________________________

 Classic Cobbler

 Locals Favorite in Chicago Heights

Another place I just kind of stumbled across while riding down the Dixie Highway one day. I'm a big cobbler fan. I do love desserts with fruit so there was going to have to be a stop. I was greeted by the friendly owner inside and asked which one is good and as expected got an "all of them" reply back. So I decided to go classic peach and was rewarded with a treat. All it needed was ice cream.

Peach Cobbler
________________________________________________________________________________

 Hoosier Mama Pie Company

 Locals Favorite in Ukrainian Village

Hoosier Mama has been keeping Chicago's pie fiends happy for a handful of years now. Located on Chicago avenue it will get the credit for turning the block around as more spots start to open up. The menu switches daily and while it's all really good I'm particularly fond of the banana creme pie. I dont eat a ton of pie so I cant compare this other variations but I tried it on a whim one day and have gone back when it was available on a handful of occasions. So creamy with big chunks of banana. Love it.

Banana Cream Pie
________________________________________________________________________________

D&D's Place
8324 S Kedzie Ave
Chicago, IL 60652
(773) 778 7007

Classic Cobbler
200 Dixie Hwy
Chicago Heights, IL 60411
(708) 248-5093

Hoosier Mama Pie Company
1618 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
(312) 243-4846

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails