Friday, May 8, 2015

Charlatan

-Weekend Brunchin'

We've been brunching a bit more lately and decided to try The Charlatan in West Town recently. It's somewhat new and for all that I can remember nothing bad had been said about it. The guy behind the place also happens to own Three Aces which is a place on Taylor street that I'm a fan of.

Italian focused food and drink on Chicago avenue 

Now that the weather is getting very nice they should have the windows open in front most days. I love spots like this, much preferring them over the dark places with no windows for light. The more light the merrier. Starting off with cocktails many of them of Italian ApƩritif and I'm not the biggest fan of those so I drank some beer from the tap. For my food I went with a chicken parm sandwich which can always hit the spot when on. This one was indeed on although the bun just wasn't to my liking. Its the same beef I have with the burger at Three Aces which other wise is just about perfect.

Chicken Parmesan Sandwich with Calabrian Tots

Too much bun, not soft and as dense as compact as the chicken breast itself. I like a little more fluff in the bread but I thought the chicken was well done and the sauce paired perfectly with the cheese, arugula, and fried capers. Best part about the sandwich was the Calabrian tots aside it. They were crispy on the outside and smooth and creamy inside. The sandwich was good, the tots were great.

The insides 

I also got to try a taste of the Pepper Pork Belly Carbonara which is described as being made with smoked spaghetti, 45 minute egg, Parmesan, and parsley pistou. This was a well prepped dish and better than the average brunch hash or wrap has to be. The pork belly was cooked to a point where it shredded apart pretty easily and the dish as a whole was satisfying in a brunch setting but I might've wanted a little more if it was dinner, which it wasn't so I'd be happy returning for it on a warm Sunday afternoon. Right at the bar with the warm breeze joining the rest of us. Summer is coming.

Pepper Pork Belly Carbonara 

Charlatan
1329 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60642
(312) 818-2073
Website

Charlatan on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails