Monday, March 27, 2017

Hon Kee

-Grubbing in Chicago  
Where the locals eat

When most people visit Argyle street it's usually to eat Vietnamese food and more specifically Pho. The popular beef noodle soup is found up and down the block at handfuls of spots. Wedged in between all these spots is a Chinese restaurant also popular for it's soup. But you wont find Pho on the menu at Hon Kee, instead you'll see things like roasted pork hanging in it's windows.

Locals Favorite on Argyle Street

I don't have an exact date on Hon Kee's birth but the place is the definition of old school Chinese. I'm not talking the American Chinese type of spot many of us are familiar with, but rather the old school Chinese type of place you'll find in Chinatown's across the country. The aforementioned pork (Roasted and BBQ) are both popular here as is the wonton soup. Order that wonton soup with barbecue pork and you get the best of both worlds. For just $8 you'll get a big bowl of soup made with a pretty mild broth (spike it up with chili oil at the table), egg noodles, sliced barbecue pork, and pork wontons. It might be my favorite bowl of soup in the area and that's saying something bc I love the good pho spots found around here. But when the taste for this comes calling it's all I want. I didn't grow up in a Chinese home but when I eat this dish I feel like I did. Pure comfort in a bowl.

Wonton Soup with BBQ Pork

Hon Kee
1064 W Argyle St
Chicago, IL 60640
(773) 878-6650

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really needs a name change.............

Anonymous said...

*its vs. it's. For the love of god, please learn the difference. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails