Monday, March 14, 2016

Boba Burger

-Got beef?
The Burgers of Chi (land)


Food Media is good for some things but mom and pop stops in the suburbs isn't one of them. Luckily we still have social media and message boards which is where I learned of this Asian owned burger spot sitting inside a bowling alley. Boba Burger is connected to Classic Bowl in Morton Grove. It's been around for a few years, it may have moved here from elsewhere but I'm unaware.

Locals Favorite in Morton Grove 

Any place serving burgers that have accumulated a perfect score on yelp, as well as praise from those I actually trust is getting a visit from me. So I stopped in one day this past winter. It was a Sunday so there were tons of families ditching the cabin fever for a few games of bowling. This meant that Boba Burger was packed but after a 15 minute wait my fries arrived. These probably needed to be fried in a hotter oil as the color was a tad too light. Nonetheless they are fresh cut and made to order.

Fries 

On my first visit in I was swayed from trying a burger. They also offer hot dogs and one of them spoke to me. The "Tokyo Dog" boasts some Japanese flavors which might not sound like a match for a wiener but having been to Ivy's up in Edgebrook I knew they worked well together. No difference here. They dip a Vienna Beef wiener in tempura batter and give it a fry. When nice and golden it gets topped with wasabi aioli, nori, picked veggies, and sriracha ketchup. The overall sum of this dog tastes like a popular snack in Japan where they're known to eat stuff like this. Though I'm pretty sure this is a Boba Burger creation and not something you'll actually find in Tokyo

Tokyo Dog 

I made a return visit for a burger not too long ago and also came away impressed. Boba offers a variety of topping combinations but I've always been a minimalist when it comes to dressing a hamburger. I made a small exception on this day and decided to try a traditional cheeseburger with a piece of fried spam added on for a dollar. After one bite it was apparent that the spam wasn't needed so I took it off and ate it as is. I then finished the burger without it and ended up loving the product. The meat itself is high quality and packed a little looser than most which makes it more tender in my mind. The burger was cooked to medium but the juice factor was as if it was medium rare. Coming in at just $5 without the spam makes it one of the better burgers I've had in that price range.

Cheeseburger with Spam added on

Boba Burger
8530 Waukegan Rd
Morton Grove, IL 60053
(847) 410-7779
Website

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails