Monday, March 21, 2016

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken

-Grubbing in Chicago
New to the 'Scene'

The Opening of the Chicago location of Gus's Chicken marked the start of the Memphis restaurants expansion. Started some 60 years ago it's been a long walk to the top. Most all conversation about best fried chicken in America will likely include Gus's so you can bet that folks from all across the country were excited about the news of expansion. I know I was interested in trying them out. Seeing as how I've been to many of the spots mentioned when best fried chicken is discussed I was eager to see how it compared to some of the others. Even if the location I would try was not the original.

Newly Opened in Fulton Market 

I got a chance to stop in for lunch a couple months back. It was probably about half packed but with the recent opening of Google building I can envision this place being packed in the future. The wait for the fried chicken was a bit long but this all but assured they were frying the bird to order which is something I was curious about how they'd handle. I would rather wait for freshly fried then get faster stuff that was being held. Upon it's arrival it was glistening with a beautiful golden hued skin that produced decent crunch although not as much as it looked too. I thought the seasoning was ok, there might be some MSG in there, but it wasn't as aggressive as I had hoped. It wasn't bad but it just wasn't enough to make me place it amongst some of the greats, though for the area it's worth a bite. Sides were pretty average while service was above that. If I worked near I'd go back for lunch.

Fried Chicken 

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken
847 W Fulton Market
Chicago, IL 60607
(312) 733-1971
Website

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails