Friday, March 1, 2013

Au Cheval

-Grubbing in Chicago 
New to the 'Scene'

I went to Au Cheval for a Vday lunch. It was on my to try list forever so I was happy to finally get over there and even happier not to be paying. Wink, wink. Now that they have lunch hours I'm more likely to stop in as I cant ever remember it as an option after drinks but that's when I think this place would be at it's best.

Hot Spot at Halsted and Randolph

She had the house bratwurst over garlic mashed potatoes with gravy. Normally my mind might not allow me to think paying $13 for a sausage link is acceptable but these days it's close to $9 for one at Brat Stop with the works. I got to have a bite and liked what I tried. Both the brat and potatoes were very well done.

Image
Bratwurst with Garlic Mashed and Gravy

I had to go with the cheeseburger which is a double done diner style. If you choose to add another patty it becomes a triple. It reminded me of a glorified version of the double cheeseburger I used to order often at Salt & Pepper Diner on Lincoln avenue in the 90's. It might of been my favorite burger back in the day and Au Cheval's was like theirs as if it had become wealthy. At just under $10 the burger is fairly priced but fries do not come on the side without paying extra ($6). In this case I would definitely do that.

Excellent Fries 

Everything molded well together with the burger although two drawbacks were the bun not being as fresh as the top notch spots I'm used to and it was a tad salty even for my tastes. The patties were curiously assembled perfectly, this could be to the use of a pre-forming mold in kitchen or they could be supplied frozen from a supplier, that would be interesting. The best burger in the country? I don't think so. Although I couldn't tell you what is based on all the great options of many varieties in different categories. It's not even my best in city but I liked the taste flash back down to having a cup of mayo on the side which I used to dip their excellent fries in. Same as I did at S&P back when. I'd stop here again, but next time after a few brews. This is high class fancified drunk food. I can dig.

Image
Diner Style Cheeseburger

Au Cheval
800 W Randolph St
Chicago, IL 60607
(312) 929-4580
Website

Au Cheval on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Steve D. said...

I am not a hoity toity customer. I twitch when I read haute cuisine magazines' ratings of food which is intended for diners on an expense account.
Venues which serve ultra-expensive versions of dishes which are competently made and served at restaurants costing 67% less than what they charge irk me. When these ridiculously-priced venues get accolades from some hotshot, upper-crust publication, I can only just exhale, and vow to never go there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails