Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Pasta Palazzo

-Grubbing in Chicago 
Date Night Ideas

Valentines Day and any other time you're headed out to dinner on a date week continues. I've been a member of the Lincoln Park neighborhood for a long time but it was just this past summer that I tried a neighborhood favorite in Pasta Palazzo. Located on Halsted street just off Armitage this place has been packing them in for over 15 years.

The view from the seats at the counter

It's a small cozy space inside and as they describe it can feel like your in someone else's kitchen. The cooks are right there making your food in front of you behind the counter while the smells coming from the pots and pans fill the place with a nice aroma. I imagine this place thrives because of it's no frills good food at very reasonable prices. It's a good place to go out on a date of you have to pay and are feeling cheap.

Image
Grilled Calamari Appetizer

The menu has app's and salads to go with all the different pasta dishes they offer as well as some sandwiches too. On my visit we went with the grilled calamari appetizer which is a dish I enjoy. I dug theirs for what it was and the fact they didn't up-charge for something alot of other places do. I got to try the shells with Italian sausage, red bell peppers, marinara and ricotta* and liked what I got to bite.

*Thanks to KennyZ for pointing out I named this dish wrong in OP. It's fixed. My bad y'all.

Image
Conchiglie Classico

I mean don't get wrong, most of us could make something like this in our own kitchens but sometimes while having a taste for some pasta you don't feel like working. If you live near this isn't a bad option to have. I had the made in house ravioli which is stuffed with ricotta and spinach and topped with your choice of sauce. I opted for the marinara and was happy with my $10 entree. I was paying for two and I made it out of here thinking we got a tasty meal at a very reasonable price. I like.

Image
Housemade Ravioli

Pasta Palazzo
1966 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60614
(773) 248-1400
Website

Pasta Palazzo on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree, wholeheartedly, with your comment that we could probably make similar dishes at home..the main reason I don't eat out for pasta. But Pasta Palazzo is my one guilty exception. I am just overly impressed by the quality and consistency every GD time. If you head back, give the gnocchi a try. I always request the vodka sauce to go on top and they never seem to fuss about the substitution. Fluffy gobs of awesome. Smack yo mamma.

P.S. Absolutely love your blog...my go-to, no bs, never fails, local guide.

Kenny Z said...

Hey T - wrong photo. That's the conchiglie classico, not the penne con salsiccie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails