Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Don's Grill

-Grubbing in Chicago
Where the locals eat.

I couldn't even give you a guesstimate as to how many times I drove by Don's Grill on Western avenue right at 18th street but I always wanted to stop in. Its got the look of a quintessential old time neighborhood grill with its old school looks and blue collar display. What got me in was when Patty's Grill in Skokie closed and I no longer had a ham off the bone breakfast sandwich option that I knew of but Don's sign on the side is right there for all to see.


Locals favorite on Western avenue in the Pilsen neighborhood


Yessir!

There's a few of these type of "gritty" grills as you start heading south and I plan to check out other ones now that I got over to Don's. I've actually been twice with over a year in between visits but not a thing changed as far as the atmosphere inside. Just because it took a year doesn't mean it's not all that but if your expecting Patty's or Three Sparrows you might not like it. The ham off the bone is not on display like it was at Patty's and is at Hall of Fame Food Stop Mike's Famous Ham Place in Detroit. But I think that has more to do with space and getting orders out quick. The waitress on each of my visits was the same nice lady who knew everyone and on my most recent trip Don himself was there chatting it up with the regulars, each one of them in there and then me too introducing himself to me.


Don's Ham Scrambler

I went with the ham scrambler seen up above on my most recent trip which is diced ham, onions and eggs all scrambled together served with hash browns with the option of cheese on top. Yes please. It was quite tasty enhancesd with the hot sauce I had never had that they carry. Also very filling and very reasonable for that amount of food. My go to order though from here on in will be their ham, egg and cheese sandwich. There's nothing too special about this rendition, the ham isn't from an award winning farm down south, the eggs arent those of ducks and the toast isn't from a made from scratch bakery but its damn good and hits the spot when that's what you want. All while not breaking the bank. One day Don's Grill will be forgotten Chicago but I don't think that day is coming anytime soon.


Ham, Egg and Cheese Sandwich

Don's Grill
1837 South Western ave
Chicago, IL 60608
(312) 733- 9351

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails