Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Carbon

-Eating like a Mayan King in the Windy City

Hello folks and welcome back. It's fitting that I've been on a fish taco binge the last few weeks since it is lenten season. I have a friend who loves her some seafood and tacos are her favorite eat so we've been testing them all out as the days go by. One of the spots that often gets mentioned when discussing the best fish taco in Chicago is Carbon in Chinatown/Bridgeport. So today we're going to check them out, lets take a look.


On 26th street in between Chicago's Bridgeport/Chinatown neighborhoods

I remember when this place first opened and shot onto my radar. They describe themselves as a "live fire grill" and that's something that's always a plus in my book. However for whatever reason I just never made it inside until a trip a couple weeks back brought us in. The crowd was an eclectic mix with there being hipsters, blue collar locals and a few Mexicans from around the way, all inside enjoying lunch. I went with three tacos, one each of the fish, steak and chicken along with an order of elotes aka corn off the cob in mayo.


Taco Platter from Carbon


Elote stands are popular on the streets of Chicago

Not bad all in all. First up the chicken which was a breast cut up in larger chunks, this didn't look too appealing to me when I first saw it but I enjoyed it for what it was, a chicken taco. Which are never going to cause a culinary orgasms but this was tasty version nonetheless. The steak I thought to be just ok and better options available elsewhere but it was tender so credit to them for that. The fish taco which they get mad love for was indeed good. Maybe not the best but it was fried on site, served hot and I enjoyed how they use a tortilla crusting on the tilapia. If your a fish taco fan these should do the trick. I'd stop by again for a few. nice option to have in the neighborhood.

Up close of a fish taco

Carbon Live Fire Grill
300 W. 26th Street
Chicago, IL 60616
(312) 225-3200
Website

Carbón on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails