Friday, July 15, 2016

Three New York Imports

-Grubbing in Chicago  
Imported from New York

Just last weekend Chicago got yet another New York import, this one in the form of a pizza place. I have yet to get to Paulie Gee's but the early word is the pizza is pretty damn good. I have however been to the other three imports the State of New York/NYC have given us and will share my opinions on them in this post. There's nothing bad about the current trend of places opening spots in cities than their original home but I wonder who's making the decisions for Chicago. Can we get some of  NYC's dumpling shops or maybe an LA taco favorite? We dont really need your pizza and burgers.
________________________________________________________________________________


Shake Shack 

I dont even know how many Shake Shack's have opened up in Chicago at this point. We got a few and there's plenty more to come. Of the three spots NY has sent us I think this place is the best but here's the thing, Shake Shack was made in the mold of a classic Midwestern burger spot. Proprietor Daniel Meyer hails from St. Louis where they have a great fast food burger culture (See: Carl's Drive-In) of which he wanted to bring to New York. Well now's he's bringing it pretty much everywhere as Shake Shack has locations across the globe.

Crispy Chicken Sandwich

My opinion on Shake Shack is it's good if your stuck with the kids at Old Orchard Mall but it's not something you'd pack the kids into the car to drive to. The chicken sandwich is better than most fast food chicken sandwiches which means nothing except most fast food fried chicken sandwiches are hot garbage. At least it's tasty here. The burgers are pretty much the same way in my mind. The best thing they got going for them are the east coast cherry peppers they put on the Smoke Shack Burger.

SmokeShack Burger
________________________________________________________________________________

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

Last year we got a Dino BBQ from Syracuse. This is another state of New York spot that's really started to branch out elsewhere in the other 49 states. It's located over in the Weed Street area and doubles as a bar. I hope they can make it because on my visit the place was empty but it was early on a Sunday or something like that. I'd give what I got a C if I was grading the stuff. Brisket taco was decent but not anything I want to get again. The mini pulled pork sandwich tasted like something I'd get at a baseball game while the ribs we're actually pretty good. Not the best or even top tier but well smoked with just the right amount of resistance when biting into them. Still dont need to go back.

Brisket Taco

Mini Pulled Pork Sandwich

Smoked Ribs
________________________________________________________________________________

Halal Guys

Last and most certainly least is NYC's favorite corner meat cart. Halal Guy's have long been a legend in the late-nite NYC dining scene. They used their popularity to branch out outside of NYC and now have spots opening up all over the place. Particularly in areas with big drinking crowds. Well let me tell y'all something, I'm not a picky eater and I enjoy many guilty pleasures but this was dog food. I dont know what the people in NYC are drinking but let me get some of that. It would take some sort of special potion to make me ever want to eat here again. Its cone meat hacked like a two year old was slicing it. On my visit the meat bits were barely browned and the special sauces were splatter.

Slop of Meats
________________________________________________________________________________

Shake Shack
66 E Ohio St
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 667-1701

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
923 W Weed St
Chicago, IL 60642
(312) 462-1053

Halal Guys
49 W Division St
Chicago, IL
(312) 877-5575

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails