Friday, January 30, 2015

Fahlstrom's Fresh Fish Market

-Grubbing in Chicago  
New to the 'Scene'

Sadly there will be no big blowout post for the Super Bowl this year, I just haven't been cooking as much as I used to but that should switch when I get my move on. In the meantime I'm going to post about a newly opened place in Lakeview and share an easy recipe. Glenn's Diner over on Montrose is a pretty well known restaurant amongst Chicagoan's. Known for their easy going atmosphere and plates of fresh fish they've long been a choice of many when it comes to picking a place to eat out at. However the namesake Glenn left a few years back and disappeared for a while before returning with Falhstrom's Fish Market on Belmont. I stopped in during opening weekend.

Restaurant/Fish Market in Lakeview

First things first I need to make sure readers know that when I visited they were doing a grand opening special of half off your bill. We went in hoping to eat a nice plate of fresh fish but were told the deal only applied to land meals, meaning we'd have to choose something that wasn't from the ocean. Aside from the same blackboard labeled with all the fish options you saw at Glenn's they also have a breakfast, lunch and dinner portions to the menu featuring stuff that isn't fish. One exception was their po' boys which could be ordered with shrimp or catfish. She tried a catfish and liked it pretty well. I agreed in that it was well fried and made for a satisfying sandwich. I tried the meatloaf sandwich and was less thrilled with my order. It was basically a burger. They just seasoned a patty of ground beef to taste like meatloaf and cooked it on a flattop like they would a regular burger. It wasn't sliced off the log after baking or anything like that. It wasn't awful but it wasn't a meatloaf sandwich.

Catfish Po' Boy and Meatloaf Sandwich 

Maybe I'll get back to Fahlstrom's for a sitdown dinner sometime in the future but I'm more likely to be a regular at the seafood counter. Located on the other side of the dining room, they're selling fresh fish to-go from here. They promised that their prices would be cheaper than Mariano's and other seafood markets in town and so far they are living up to the promise. I've been in a few times to buy fresh product and was happy with what I got. The same mahi mahi I got there was $9 more at Mariano's. So I'm now in full blown fish sandwich mode, making a couple a week for dinner.

Blackened Mahi Mahi Sandwich
(Season filet with Cajun seasoning, cook and dress to your liking)

Fahlstrom's Fresh Fish Market
1258 West Belmont Avenue
Chicago, IL 60657
(773) 281-6000

Fahlstrom's Fresh Fish Market on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails