Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Ryhana's Cuisine

-Grubbing in Chicago  
Indian Eats on Taylor Street

The 2200 block of Taylor street is seeing a little bit of a renaissance. You can thank the growing student body at UIC for this. As students move into the area, places that were once vacant are now being rented out by restaurants and such. One of them is Ryhana's Indian Cuisine which opened during the last year or so. It's a small space with one table so it's mostly takeout. 

Newly Opened on Taylor street

I'm by no means an expert in Indian cuisine. I don't consider it to be one of my strong points when it comes to knowledge of different foods. That said the online reviews were all praising this place when I first found it and that in of itself was enough to get me to try it out. Say what you want abut Yelp but more times than not I find the overall score of a place to be just about right.

Garlic Naan 

The only thing I don't really like about this spot is the fact they use store bought breads for naan and all other baked stuff. But when you consider the prices (meals average around $6) this is something you can look past. Just don't look past the Butter Chicken which I've found to be the best thing going here. Its pungent, it's got kick, and the meat is extra tender. I could eat this often if it was near me.

Butter Chicken

Not quite as good, in my mind anyway, was the pepper chicken. I think I was just expecting something completely different as this was more like a stew than a stir fry. It had lots of kick but I'm just not a big fan of shredded chicken so that was probably the reason I thought it to be just ok.


Pepper Chicken

I'd place their Nihari right in-between the butter and pepper chickens. Their take on the classic is pretty textbook with spicy beef being slow cooked for hours in a creamy curry filled with herbs and spices. There's no shortage of heat as my mouth felt the burn upon first bite. Again this was something like $5 for the plate so I don't want to critique every last detail when you're going to be hard pressed to find a better meal for the same price. The family that owns the place is pleasant and the food is dirt cheap while still having flavor so its easy to understand the love online.

Nihari

Ryhana's Cuisine
2253 W Taylor St
Chicago, IL 60612
(312) 251-1234
Website

1 comment:

Wenni Donna said...

Really a nice post! Thank you so much for sharing this. I love eating unique cuisines. Usually every weekend, we visit a new venue Houston TX to try tryout their menu. At many places, their secret food at the local food venues is just fabulous.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails