Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Puesto Sandwich Stand

-Grubbing in Chicago
Arepas in Wrigleyville

Near the end of Winter I read an article over at DNAinfo about a new sandwich stand opening on Sheffield in Lakeview. The fact they were serving arepas is what caught my eye. These are a common street snack in a few South American countries, specifically Venezuela. They're not so common in Chicago and I always love eating them when traveling elsewhere so I made a note to check them out.

Newly Opened in Lakeview

First impressions upon entering are happiness as the bright colors and open air space invite you to come on in and relax. The same can be said for the proprietors. It's a boyfriend/girlfriend team and they're using the recipes of the guy who's mom is from Mexico. That said the menu is an eclectic mix of Latin American favorites such as the previously mentioned arepas, a Cuban Sandwich, tortas, and a variety of morning wake me up's including house coffee and cafe con leche. There's also ice cream.

a peek inside

I've been in a few times now and they seem to have worked out all the kinks with the arepas firing on all cylinders. I haven't been able to stray away from them and the satisfaction they bring. The're made fresh so it takes five minutes or so but the end result is worth waiting on. The extreme corn flavor in the masa is what's stood out most to me. That and the fact that one of them should easily fill you up.

Ham and Cheese Arepa

For those not in the know these are made by taking a ball of corn dough and cooking it on the flattop until nice and browned. They then slit a knife down one half of it creating a pocket for the fillings. The arepa is to Venezuela what the hamburger is to America. My favorites from here have been the breakfast versions which are made with smooth scrambled eggs mixed with melted cheese and bacon. The option to add avocado is there and I recommend doing that. For just around $5 this is one of the better pre-game snacks in the Wrigleyville area this summer. Enjoy one one on the recently completed outdoor patio. I don't live in the area but I'd say it's a welcome addition to the 'hood.

Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Arepa

Puesto Sandwich Stand
3349 N Sheffield Ave
Chicago, IL 60657
(773) 661-2490
Website

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails