Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Andorka's Sandwich Shop

-The Sammy's of Chi

It seems like these days I get most of my local food news from DNAinfo. At least the news of new restaurant openings that don't come with a PR agency invite. So when I learned a former Kendall College student was opening his own sandwich shop in Pilsen I took note and went over to try it.

Newly Opened Sandwich Shop hiding in Pilsen

Upon pulling up I rode right by Andorka's as it sits in an old house that to my knowledge wasn't a storefront from what I can remember. There is no sign but they do have a little specials board sitting on the sidewalk. It has the looks and feel of a place Potbelly would move into. Then upon walking inside it has the feeling of the original Potbelly on Lincoln avenue.

a peek inside 

The comparisons to Potbelly stop at the sandwiches. Andorka's bakes their bread in house giving you the choice of white or wheat. Upon choosing my sandwich choice the owner Matt was hand slicing a beautiful loaf of bread to get my sandwich going. The options are all pretty damn tempting when you consider that the ingredients are a step above the average sandwich shop. On this day I had a particular taste for a ham sandwich so thats what I went with though I'll for sure be back to try the pulled goat and also a roast beef. Back to the ham, it was wonderful.

Ham Sandwich 

Along with very high quality ham this sandwich includes smoked cheddar, pickles and grain mustard. It's simple but so satisfying. One of the better sandwiches I've ate in sometime. This part of Halsted is slowly becoming a dining destination with Nightwood across the street as well as Del Toro and also Skylark down the street. Hopefully the neighbors understand that independent businesses are good for the neighborhoods character. Save the anger for when Quizno's opens up shop down the block.

The insides 

Andorka's Sandwich Shop
2110 South Halsted Street
Chicago, IL 60608
(312) 763-6916
Website

Andorka's Sandwich Shop on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the great review! We are glad you share our love of a good sandwich. Can't wait to see you for the next one!

Matt Andorka

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails