Monday, November 17, 2014

Dove's Luncheonette

-Grubbing in Chicago  
New to the 'Scene'

Needed a place to eat near the busy Wicker Park intersection and decided to give the new Dove's Luncheonette a try recently. In case you've been living in a pothole somewhere this is the new Southern inspired Mexican diner from the One Off Hospitality Group, owners of Big Star next door. Maybe because the Bears had just played or maybe because there is no patio and the day was beautiful, who knows but it was tame with plenty of places to sit. I like what they did with the inside as it's it's not too decked out, pretty minimal actually, it feels like a diner so that's good.

Sitting at the counter overlooking Damen avenue

Props for keeping the drinks in the Big Star price-range of $8. I don't know about y'all but I'm enjoying my nights out less and less upon getting my bill loaded with $13 cocktails. Believe me I'm not cheap but, damn those add up. Good sippers here as expected from the team also behind Violet Hour across the street. As far as food prices go they didn't exactly stick with them relative to Big Star. Then again these are plates of food and not tacos or chips with guacamole to share. Still these are small plates of food. She tried the chicken fried chicken and it came with two pieces of breast meat, looked more like two strips. The flavor profile was there with the chorizo verde gravy along with grilled onions, green beans and peas being a hearty combo but for $15 I want some mashed potatoes underneath at the very least.

Chicken Fried Chicken

I opted for the red chile chicken enchiladas and went West Texas style with a fried egg on top. Described as corn tortillas and roasted chicken thighs with guajillo-ancho chile sauce, queso oaxaca, queso fresco, cilantro, onions and pickled serrano chiles these sounded like they could please if I was able to look past the $14 pricetag. I wish I could've but I would've been more satisfied if these were around $10. I liked the fact they used chopped thigh meat and the flavor profile of the sauce was similar to Big Stars popular panza taco but they weren't rolled tight enough and the dish eventually morphed into the texture of a baked casserole. It was hard to get a bite of it all in one. Maybe they should go all out West Texas style and stack them. I do suggest liberal use of their homemade hot sauces and salsa, I thought all of them were great and useful in taking the dish a step up. More cheese and sauce wouldn't of hurt either. Another thing they  could of used were some rice and beans by their side. In the end it's on you to decide for yourself. I wont rush back, but I'm sure I'll be back.

Red Chile Enchiladas with a fried egg added on

Dove's Luncheonette
1545 N Damen Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 645-4060
Website

Dove's Luncheonette on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails