Friday, August 7, 2015

Mr. Brown's Lounge

-Grubbing in Chicago
Jamaican Eats and Drink

While celebrating Jamaican Independence Day I realized I'd never posted anything on Mr. Brown's Lounge at the corner of Chicago and Oakley, and now also the Downtown inside the Hard Rock Hotel. The original location is a spot I find myself at now and then when a taste for the island hits me.

Locals favorite in Ukrainian Village

It's a restaurant that doubles as a bar so theres good food and drink to be had. On the weekends they feature a oxtail plate that is one of the best I've ever had. Loaded with silky tender oxtail and lots of Jamaican cabbage it comes served with an extra spicy version of rice and peas. I find myself enjoying this massive platter of food on cold nights when I want some comfort in my belly.

Oxtail Platter

Sometimes when riding down Chicago avenue during the daytime I'll get a whiff of smoke that comes into my car, the good kind not cigarettes, and it comes from Mr. Brown's and always makes me hungry for Jerk Chicken. They do a really fine example at Mr. Brown's when their A game is on. A big plate of half a bird is joined by what I consider to be the best cabbage dish around and also spicy rice and peas and plantains. I've had better visits than others but this is due to the fact they smoke / grill the chicken. It's not baked. At $15 for the plate it isn't cheap but if you go when it's on special for $9 you're getting a deal as it's easily two meals worth of food. The music can range from the legend that is Bob to the infamous Vybz Kartel, cold Ting and rum punch rounds it all out. Fun spot.

Jerk Chicken Dinner 

Mr. Browns Lounge
2301 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 278-4445
Website

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails