Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Rokito's Streetside Kitchen

-Eating like a Mayan King in the Windy City

Greetings all. I'm refreshed and rejuvenated after a trip to Mexico and I hope one day Uptown and the neighborhood around can feel the same way. It's nice to see a tenant taking over right there in the formerly vacant spot located aright under the Wilson Red Line stop. Rokito's Mexican Streetside Kitchen is trying to bring a fresh approach to the folks who roll there serving up freshly cooked popular Mexican street foods for an affordable price including a walk up taco window open late at night.


On Wilson ave under the Red line stop

I got to stop in here when passing by hungry a month or so back and got a good overall forst impression of the place. I stopped in around lunchtime on a weekday and the owner Rocky was there along with another member of the staff. The first impressions upon walking in are very nice inside it has a Mexican street meets chic Mexican cocktail lounge with art and Mexican wrestling masks adorning the walls. They did a nice job on the inside and I took it as a positive sign that all of the people whom were dining in or walked by to grab something to go had obviously been there before and freindly with the owner and happy to have them around.


View at a table waiting for my order

There were a few things that caught my eye on the menu including the breakfast burritos made with either steak or chorizo and also a 'Mexican' made in house hamburger. I ended up getting a couple things to enjoy including their take on a Sonoran style hot dog. This style of hot dog is popular in places like Tuscon now after it crossed over the border from Mexico. Usually the hot dog is wrapped in bacon and deep fried or in some cases cooked on a griddle which is the way it's done at Rokito's. They throw on some lettuce, just so you feel a little healthy and then load it with their orange mayo sauce and some black beans too. I didnt love this if for anything the hot dog was huge and not all that great. Maybe it could of been better if it was wrapped with more bacon but healthwise that wasn't necessary either.


Sonoran Style Dog ala Rokito's

My other item order to eat in house was their baja fish taco. The order took some time because the bacon had to be cooked then placed with dog separately, which I wasn't a huge fan of but also because they had to hand batter and then freshly fry the fish for their taco, this I was a fan of. I thought this was one of the better fish tacos I have had of late and there have been many for whatever reason. I've just been on a binge. The fish was moist and the thing came out piping hot so I even had to let it sit and soak in a little. Overall a very good example was what I was served.


Rokito's Fish Taco

They also had a special with their mini tacos for $1 to-go so I grabbed three of those on the way out and ate them later that day. Steak wasn't an option so I got a a ground beef, chorizo and a chicken taco too. You have the option of getting the toppings authentic style which is just onions and cilantro or Americanized which comes with lettuce and tomatoes too. The house salsa it's served with was pretty damn good and overall there was nothing one could complain about considering the price and taste of them. One day I'll get back and see what else might be 'aight'.


Taco Trio To-Go

Rokito's
1111 W. Wilson Ave
Chicago, IL 60640
(773) 561-5500

Rokito's Mexican Street Side Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails