Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Indianapolis Tenderloin Trot

Eating like a local:
Regional food specialties

- The Tenderloins of Indy

I got a chance to try a few of the tenderloins mentioned when people ask where the best one in Indianapolis is at. I've said before that I found most of the tenderloins I've tried in Indiana to be inferior to those I've tried in Iowa but a couple of these stops have closed that gap. Then again I'm not a expert on these like I am other things so take my advice with a grain of salt. Something the sandwich on our 1st stop could of used.

Image
Southside Indy

When we got to the famous Edwards Drive In, it felt like we were in the middle of nowhere rather than a metropolis. This must be the outskirts of town as there were quite a few silos across the street. Edward's and Mug N Bun are like Al's and Mr. Beef, they're the two most well know 'loins in the city. I don't know if the crazy bus was on a field trip but it seemed like every weirdo in the city was inside on my visit. The tenderloin was blah. A thin pre-pounded and most likely pre-breaded patty had both the looks and feel of the ones I saw displayed on Burger King billboards around town advertising their regional offering. The onion rings were the exact opposite, have an order of those and a root beer and save some room for something else.

Image
Tenderloin and Onion Rings at Edwards Drive-In

After the trip to Edwards I was about to give up eating tenderloins while in Indiana but the friendly folks at the Friendly Tavern in Zionsville switched that. The tenderloin sandwich here was written up in the Super Sandwich article from which I tried quite a few spots.

Image
About 10 minutes outside of Indianapolis

I went in with high hopes for this one. It was an unusually nice day weather wise that Saturday so it seemed like everyone from town was there. The bartender was quick to take my order and said I wouldn't be disappointed with their product. That I was not. Finally! A tenderloin that isn't beaten like a victim of LAPD. The locally sourced loin makes for a juicy interior while the thin fried coating stuck with it on each bite. It's of my belief all onions served on tenderloins should be red onions. They just work better.

Image
The Friendly Tavern's Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Next up is a stop I already wrote up in a dedicated Indy post but I'll throw them in this round-up for documentation purposes. I enjoyed everything I ate at the famous Steer-In including the tenderloin. So far the best tenderloins I've had were relatively small in size compared to most others you find.

Image
A longtime Eastside Indianapolis favorite

Image
Indiana House Tenderloin Sandwich

The next two I stopped into with the Grub Seeker when he joined me for a trip one day a couple months back. I actually placed my camera in a cup of water I had in the car so it went bye bye and didn't come back to life until a few days of sitting in rice later. So these are crappy pics taken with my antique iPhone. Both Plump's Last Shot and The Nickel Plate in Fishers are also mentioned when best tenderloin in town is discussed. Plump's is on the 50 something best sandwiches list and a place I had on my radar so we watched some football and had a sandwich there. I really liked the spicing in the coating but as Jim said, this would of been better on a plate with some onions and gravy smothered over it. The sandwich is just too damn big to get a bite of with a little bit of everything in it.

Image
Tenderloin at Plump's Last Shot

Meanwhile after that it was off to the Nickel Plate where it was packed with Steelers fans of all ages and sizes. I guess there's a large contingency of fans down there because we were told it gets like that for every game. They've always been a respected fanbase. So what about Nickel Plates tenderloin? Eh. It was ok. The coating slipped off pretty easily making the thing even harder to eat. I just ended up cutting chunks off and popping them like potato chips between sips of beer. Full report on all non-tenderloin related munchies coming soon to S'C'&C.

Image
Pork Tenderloin Sandwich from Nickel Plate Bar & Grill in Fishers

Edwards Drive In
2126 S Sherman D
Indianapolis, IN 46203
(317) 786-1638

The Friendly Tavern
290 S Main St
Zionsville, IN 46077
(317) 873-5772

The Steer-In
5130 East 10th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46219
(317) 356-0996

Plump's Last Shot
6416 Cornell Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46220
(317) 257-5867

Nickel Plate Bar & Grill
8654 E 116th St
Fishers, IN 46038
(317) 841-2888

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blogger really knows tenderloines! http://des-loines.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Agreed on the des-loines. Everybody knows that IA has the best tenderloins!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails